Ft. Worth/Dallas dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rotorboy

Reaction score
I was wondering how the local diving is in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area? I'm looking into getting a transfer from Orlando, Fl. to Ft. Worth within the next few months. Things is....I love to dive. Started diving back in July 05 and been hooked since.....sort of my escape from reality. One of my concerns on the transfer is the lack of diving spots in the area. Could anyone give me some input? I'm used to driving within 30 minutes to get to springs or 2-3 hours to dive some salt. Also, are there any local dive clubs in the area? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's a little over an hour or so to the closest lake ( Possum Kingdom) and 6ish to the closest salt from Ft Worth.

We still have a real active group up here though. Come dive with us.

TwoBit

We look forward to you in the FTW area. This is a few of the better sites within an easy day trip: PK as noted prior,,Clear Springs Scuba Park,,Lake Murray,,Lake Whitney,,Tyler State Park pond,,Athens Scuba Park,,Lake Travis,,Blue Lagoon Scuba site,,Lake Stillhouse Hollow. There are some more but this will keep you wet for a start!!

rotorboy:
...are there any local dive clubs in the area? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are at least four organized, public dive clubs in the Metromess: Flippers, which meets in Plano, in far North Dallas; Scubadillos, which meets at I-635 (LBJ) and Midway Road; Finz, which meets on Forest Lane in Northwest Dallas; and Diving Rebels, which I believe is based in Ft. Worth, and/or meets in Arlington. Texas Instruments also has an employees dive club which is open to TI contractors and related companies. All of these folks, with the possible exception of the TI group, are active in this forum and will no doubt be telling you more. The Texas Swamp Divers are an informal/virtual club, and enjoy diving around without those pesky dues and calls to order.

We also have a good, big airport between Dallas and Fort Worth with quick access to Mexico and the Caribbean, as well as a good, little airport in Dallas (Love Field) that will get you around Texas and the adjoining states cheaply.

Welcome to Texas, and Please use your turn signal.

Small technical edit.... Flippers meets in Frisco. Adventure scuba in Plano has a new club that meets in Plano.

And what's a turn signal????? :wink:

one word....DO NOT LEAVE FLORIDA AND COME TO TEXAS IF YOU LOVE DIVING!!!

We have some great spots, but we're not called the "Texas Swamp Divers" for nothing. There are some great people here, and alot of formal, and informal groups that get together and go diving. In addition to the clubs listed above, try www.jwscuba.com it's a local site run by one of our instructors, Jeff Walters. The site has a calendar area for upcoming trips and events, as well as links to all of the local clubs, and a message board for keeping "in the loop".

Is your current employer looking to fill a position when you move ???:14:

You'll find the best diving at DFW airport. From there you can hop a flight to any great diving destination. I think you'll find diving the local lakes an exciting challenge. It will challenge your skills and give you a new appreciation for diving in Floridia

Mack

Thanks to all for your replys. I'll be checking out some of those sites.....do those first before hoppin on flights! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom