Ft Wetherill 6-25-15 - Fish id help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Nice morning dives at Ft W. Surface temps up to 69 degrees. 62 Degrees around 25'. Vis variable 4-7', not the greatest. Came across two fish that I cannot identify. Maybe some more experienced/knowledgeable divers can identify. In the video at about 20 seconds in there is a small 2-3" bottom dweller that looks blenny like, using its fins almost like hands on the bottom. Any ideas? The other is eel like and comes into the video at about the minute mark. The fish as you can see moves around like an eel and also makes lightening quick darts (it darted right under my camera/me. Sorry for the poor quality but you can see both pretty clearly. Thanks. TK https://youtu.be/Y6GwOzJ23Ig

The s one sitting on the bottom is a sea raven or a shorthorn sculpin. The quick one may be an alligator fish.

Thanks. I was able to look up and find the sea raven. No luck yet looking up alligator fish. TK

Wow, thanks AfterDark and Diver0001, never heard of either before. Just looked up rock gunnels and that's what it looks like to me. Nice to learn something new. TK

The first fish is a Grubby Sculpin, the second is a Rock Gunnel

Gunnels are fun, goofy fish with interesting personalities. I had a couple in my commercial aquarium setup. I like the scene where the gunnel darts towards your camera. He probably thought you were Darth Vader or something similar. :D

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom