Ft. Riley, KS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

demarest652

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in the Army I just graduated basic a couple of weeks ago. I'm in ait now i just got my orders for Ft Riley. Needless to say im not too excited about it. I havent been diving for too long but I live in Gulf Shores, Alabama so there was plenty of good diving there. Ive been looking around but it doesnt seem that there are any good dive sites around there. I was just curious if anyone knows of any?

Hi and congrates on making it through basic. Probably the closest diving for you would be at Oronogo in Joplin, MO. In Springfield/Branson, MO there is Table Rock Lake and Beaver Lake is south of there in Arkansas. Unfortionately, Kansas has not been blessed with much diving opportunities.

Check out our webpage at Midwestmuckdiving for information on local midwest diving.

Snagel

I've never dove Milford lake, but its very close the the base. Its the largest lake in kansas, but im guessing its like most other kansas lakes. anyone else dove it?

If you decide to make a trip to Oronogo, MO shoot me a PM. Several of us are down there a lot.

DW

I haven't heard about diving opportunities at Milford Lake. Ft. Riley is just next door to my hometown, though. Aside from the lack of dive opps, Manhattan does have some fun things to do. I actually like that area quite a bit.

I'll second the suggestion for Oronogo in Missouri for the diving. My husband and I had a great time there earlier in the summer.

I am originally from Northwest Arkansas i lived there for about 22 years i just never got around to getting certified until i moved to the beach. I still have alot of family in the NWA area so im sure ill be making some trips down to beaver lake. How are the water temps at Milford lake in October and November?

my guess is that late october and early november, the lake will be going thru turnover, so no thermocline. but themps will be around 70. once its turned, you can expect that water to get cold very fast as winter comes on.

You can dive any of the lakes in Kansas, you just won't see anything. :) The best viz is Lake Wilson in the spring or early fall which I have never seen better than 3-5 feet. I have heard of divers trying Milford in the spring, there is suppose to be a cove that has a number of dumped cars in it but don't know specifics. There is a dive shop in Manhattan and a dive instructor (Jeff Wilson) that works out of Junction City that could probably be more helpful.

Most divers I know go to Table Rock, Beaver, Oronogo or Tenkiller for the quickest diving fix. There is a dive shop in Wichita that has a cabin on Beaver lake that does trips every weekend. PM me for the name.

Back
Top Bottom