Ft Lauderdale Recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's my plan. My wife and I are going on a short cruise in August. In order to get the maximum diving time in, we thought we'd fly into Ft. Lauderdale a day early, and do a 2 tank dive before boarding the cruise ship. From my very limited charter experience, this should be possible since I don't need to be at the ship until mid-afternoon and most operations should be back by then. If it's not possible, let me know. I'd hate to miss the boat.

Can anyone recommend a charter that would provide a secure space for our luggage while we dive, and would take us to novice level locations? This will be my wife's first dive since being certified. We are looking for the usual stuff (friendly, helpful crew), and in our case and underwater tourist type trip is probably best. I'm an advanced diver with nearly all my own kit, but she only has the very basics.

I'm assuming that the op would need to be in Ft Lauderdale. I don't know how far the other areas are, but it needs to be something close for a taxi ride, or (hope against hope) even have a pickup/dropoff service (then I could just have the hotel lock up our luggage). I haven't picked a hotel yet, so if there's one right by a good dive op, that would be nice.

Have I gone on long enough for a simple question? :eyebrow:

Wijbrandus:
Here's my plan. My wife and I are going on a short cruise in August. In order to get the maximum diving time in, we thought we'd fly into Ft. Lauderdale a day early, and do a 2 tank dive before boarding the cruise ship. From my very limited charter experience, this should be possible since I don't need to be at the ship until mid-afternoon and most operations should be back by then. If it's not possible, let me know. I'd hate to miss the boat.

Can anyone recommend a charter that would provide a secure space for our luggage while we dive, and would take us to novice level locations? This will be my wife's first dive since being certified. We are looking for the usual stuff (friendly, helpful crew), and in our case and underwater tourist type trip is probably best. I'm an advanced diver with nearly all my own kit, but she only has the very basics.

I'm assuming that the op would need to be in Ft Lauderdale. I don't know how far the other areas are, but it needs to be something close for a taxi ride, or (hope against hope) even have a pickup/dropoff service (then I could just have the hotel lock up our luggage). I haven't picked a hotel yet, so if there's one right by a good dive op, that would be nice.

You might want to call these guys- REALLY nice people!! http://www.scubafortlauderdale.com/

This will work. All are back by 1PM for their second trip out, but I've been a little late returning before. Plan on a half hour to get back to the port through security, with traffic. I can't imagine it taking longer than that but you're on your own! Security at the gate is the back-up.

None of the local boats have offices or storage... they simply operate from the dock BUT...

...the only folks I know with any kind of store room is Lighthouse Dive. Fortunately, Lighthouse places divers with one of several nearby operations, so I'd give them a call to discuss options (Lighthouse Dive Center in Pompano Beach, FL). Your most convenient bet is the Aquaview (South Florida Divers) which is right next door but book it through Lighthouse so your stuff will be safe.

Everything here is novice level... you have to go to the Keys or do a shore dive on a bad day to get into trouble. Stay AWAY from the boats for snorklers - that's not even beginner level. I suggest that if you're insecure then do a skills review before you leave or maybe buy a ticket for a more experienced local diver to go with you (Marvel will be GLAD to help out I'm sure). You'll be fine, however, as long as you listen to the DM and captain.

Have you considered your wet, dripping gear? They may not want it in a cab. Depending on the time of year you won't need a wetsuit, however, so maybe that's ok.
Wijbrandus:

MikeJacobs:
I suggest that if you're insecure then do a skills review before you leave or maybe buy a ticket for a more experienced local diver to go with you (Marvel will be GLAD to help out I'm sure). You'll be fine, however, as long as you listen to the DM and captain.

QUOTE]
I LOVE the way you think, Mikey!!! Seriously, if at all possible, I'd be glad to go along with you. Just PM me with your dates & I'll let you know. I'll warn you- like most of us, I'm pretty much relegated to weekends.

Marvel:
MikeJacobs:
I suggest that if you're insecure then do a skills review before you leave or maybe buy a ticket for a more experienced local diver to go with you (Marvel will be GLAD to help out I'm sure). You'll be fine, however, as long as you listen to the DM and captain.

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly check into those shops.

My skills I'm not concerned about so much. I just completed my AOW, and will be doing some diving this summer as well. Cold mountain lakes do not compare for easy diving to Florida water, I'm sure. My wife, however, is certifying in May. While I intend to drag her into the cold water kicking and screaming, she intends to be a warm water weenie for the rest of her life, hence the novice level request.

Marvel, the day will be a Thursday in late August. I don't recall the date specifically, but it's the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. Our cruise departs Thursday evening.

If anyone wants to buddy up with some strange out-of-towners, I'm certainly open to meeting and making new friends.

Yeah I highly recommend the American Dream II. Captain Todd is one of the nicest Captains around. Second only to Captain Slate in the keys in my opinion.

amelo1999:
Yeah I highly recommend the American Dream II. Captain Todd is one of the nicest Captains around. Second only to Captain Slate in the keys in my opinion.
While it's nearly across the street from the port, sadly they don't have an office for his luggage...

MikeJacobs:
While it's nearly across the street from the port, sadly they don't have an office for his luggage...

No, but I'll bet they can check their bags with the bell captain at the hotel right there.... :wink:

Sorry, can't make a Thursday dive- wish I could!!!

Marvel:
No, but I'll bet they can check their bags with the bell captain at the hotel right there.... :wink:

Sorry, can't make a Thursday dive- wish I could!!!

Most excellent idea. I don't know why I didn't think of asking the hotel to hold my bags for a few hours. That would make this thing a whole level easier.

Nope but the parking lot is under constant security surveillance

MikeJacobs:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom