Ft. Lauderdale diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in Ft. Lauderdale for a week in March and am curious if anyone has any recommendations as to dive operators worth checking out. I'll be staying at a Sheraton (not sure which one yet) and I won't be renting a car so distance is of somewhat importance. Anyone dive Ft. Lauderdale and have experiences they want to share?

Let us know exactly what hotel you will be staying at, and we can make suggestions.
My hunch is you will be very close to Sea Experience from Bahia Mar.
But you can also get around using city busses or trams up and down S.R. A1A.

Chug
Has strolled down the Avenue known as A1A.

Anyone dive Ft. Lauderdale and have experiences they want to share?

Haven't dove it as yet. Did some checking into to when researching which Florida destinations I'd like to hit. Are you aware of the 'Lauderdale by the Sea' shore diving site, and whether it's close to the hotel location you will be at?

Here's a thread on Ft Lauderdale that talks about diving the area. Hope it helps.

Richard.

Let us know exactly what hotel you will be staying at, and we can make suggestions.
My hunch is you will be very close to Sea Experience from Bahia Mar.
But you can also get around using city busses or trams up and down S.R. A1A.

Chug
Has strolled down the Avenue known as A1A.
American Dream is another good charter in that area.

OK, it looks like we will be staying 13 minutes away from Lauderdale by the Sea. Shore diving interests me big time. Can anyone tell us what this experience is like? All we'll need is tanks and weights.

You will also need a dive flag! LBTS as the locals call it is probably the easiest beach dive in the area. Datura parking lot is the most popular. Arrive early as spaces fill up fast on the weekends. Park the car, pop some quarters in the meter. Don the gear, walk to the water,get chest deep, put on the fins. Surface swill till you see reef. Drop down. You can stay on this inner reef, or swim 5 minutes over sand and hit the nicer reef. Depths over the near shore sand can reach 20 ft, but there places on the reef that you will be lucky to hit 10. Watch for boat traffic!!!!!
Gold Coast Scuba does a lot of beach diving in the area and you can rent tanks, weights, and flag from them.

Thanks Jenny! I plan on buying a diver down flag before we leave. The only issue now is the fact that we will be getting a ride from the hotel and getting dropped off. Not sure how we are going to manage the gear pre and post dive.

talk to Gold Coast Scuba......perhaps they can usher you over in their pick up truck...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom