Ft Lauderdale dive shops/charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pcross

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I searched around here and found info on Ft Lauderdale shore dives but didn't find any recommendations for dive boats for Ft Lauderdale. Am looking to do two days next week with my 14 year old (he's a solid diver despite his youth - has nitrox and AOW). Looking for a place that caters to more accomplished divers / not a cattle boat.
First time there (we've been with both Narcosis and Pura Vida a bunch of times up in Palm Beach but trying a new spot for a long weekend).
Thanks!

Thanks - will check those out. The names that come up on my searches are Sea Experience and American Dream - suspect those are bigger operations that may not be what i'm looking for.

Truth is it really doesn't matter too much. For 14 yr olds the boats all go to the same spots along the reef line. Crowds have not been a problem. If you can go during the week, the hard part is finding a boat that has enough passengers for the minimum to go out.

They are all somewhat big operations that are not dissimilar to Narcosis or Pura Vida. I've just never had Scubatyme's, PDS's or SFDHQ's small boat be overly crowded. But if any of them were to completely sell out, they'd feel like a cattle boat. Avoid SFDHQ's big boats if you don't want to be around a lot of other divers: the boats are huge with plenty of space, even when sold-out, but underwater things can get crowded if the dive isn't a drift dive.

Sea Experience always gets my vote and while it's a big boat (Corinthian Cat), it never feels crowded to me. They have twin four stroke engines that are quiet and smoke-free which is a big plus in my book as diesel fumes make me ill. They are further south than most of the dive ops, so they tend to dive the less crowded spots. I see tec divers on there frequently.

I dove with ScubaTyme for a 3 days of my CCR Training over labor day weekend. Their dive boat is a standard Newton 36', and I think they allow roughly 20 divers, so a full charter may feel a touch crowded. That said, they allow you the freedom to conduct your own dives. Standard operating procedure for drift dives on the boat is to give each dive team their own flag, and then open the pool. 60 minute run time and no-deco are the only limiting factors.

The only real downside is the parking/gear drop-off situation at the marina. The boat marina (also used by Pompano Dive Center as well) has very limited parking. You basically have to drop your gear off by the boat, then drive up a short block and park in a paid lot. It was a bit unnerving leaving 5 grand worth of CCR hanging out while I went to park and pay. Not an issue of course if you have multiple people and someone who can watch your gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom