FS or FT a SeaPro Zepher 2nd Stage regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cjmc1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is a vintage SeaPro Zepher 2nd stage regulator which is an apparently very uncommon or just not talked about on the internet. It has a very unique design with a side vent and and angled hose attachment. The white nob looking thing stops free-flow by pulling it out. If it looks like the hose attachment point gets in the way let me assure you that it does not. All of the internal rubber components are in fantastic condition and the regulator appears to be in working order. I will test it if someone wants me to. I strongly suggest that you read the article in the pictures for more information on it. This would make a great addition to a regulator collection. I will sell it to anyone who offers a reasonable price or a working more modern 2nd stage regulator or any other reasonable offers. I am completely open to negotiation.
WIN_20131202_180834.jpgWIN_20131202_180828.jpgWIN_20131203_152322.jpgWIN_20131203_152311.jpgWIN_20131203_152343.jpgSEAPRO ZEPHER (2).jpgSEAPRO ZEPHER (3).jpg

Last edited:
Yes

I am the inventor of Zepher, US Patent US4503852 A. By the way I am also the inventor of Scubapro's Pilot Regulator, US Patents 4,076,041 and 4,029,120 and D245,121. I licensed the rights to manufacture and sell the Pilot Regulator to Scubapro whereas years later I licensed Zephyr to SeaPro, unfortunately SeaPro did a very poor job manufacturing and marketing Zephyr. A shame because Zephyr was actually a better regulator than the Scubapro Pilot Regulator, having a number of improvements based on the experience of ScubaPro's 3 years of production of the Pilot. The marketing of Zepher was very limited which is why so very little in known about it. I am an independent inventor, developed both regulators in my home workshop and retained ownership of all the patents which, of course, have now expired.

I seldom visit this area and only post when appropriate

1...Luis
Happy that you acquired the regulator- I suspect a report will be forth coming.

2..."rtonyc " must be Tony XXXXXXXXX..
After all these good years !
It wasn't too many moons ago that Glen E and I were chatting about you and all your accomplishments and contributions to the underwater world. Delighted that you are a member and hopefully active contribute. GOK this tribe can come up with some good ones
'An example is the "J valve how it got its name" on the other part of this section - bordering on a fairly tale..read to the end.

3..I suspect the reason the regulator was not well received is based in the history of Sea Pro . At the time of its release the company apparently was always in financial straits, the internal strife which lead to the splitting of the company, The parent company remained in Fountain Valley and the other half moved 120 miles north to Ventura .

4..The other two Sea Pro regulators, the DSFS (or was it FSDS?) I was always under the impression that Larry Scott with possible input from Bill Walters designed those two regulators . Did you have any input on their design?
I have not had contact with Larry since he sold his home and moved in with his daughter which was many years ago. I last saw Bill at DEMA he was a manufactures representative and had moved to PNW. Nether one are youngsters I would suspect in there mid to late 70s and like so many totally retired...time indeed passes

Tony , once again welcome to the I suppose, I think, I heard club
SDM

I am the inventor of Zepher, US Patent US4503852 A. By the way I am also the inventor of Scubapro's Pilot Regulator, US Patents 4,076,041 and 4,029,120 and D245,121. I licensed the rights to manufacture and sell the Pilot Regulator to Scubapro whereas years later I licensed Zephyr to SeaPro, unfortunately SeaPro did a very poor job manufacturing and marketing Zephyr. A shame because Zephyr was actually a better regulator than the Scubapro Pilot Regulator, having a number of improvements based on the experience of ScubaPro's 3 years of production of the Pilot. The marketing of Zepher was very limited which is why so very little in known about it. I am an independent inventor, developed both regulators in my home workshop and retained ownership of all the patents which, of course, have now expired.

After looking at both regulators and doing some reading, that became obvious. Great work.

I seldom visit this area and only post when appropriate

1...Luis
Happy that you acquired the regulator- I suspect a report will be forth coming.

2..."rtonyc " must be Tony XXXXXXXXX..
After all these good years !
It wasn't too many moons ago that Glen E and I were chatting about you and all your accomplishments and contributions to the underwater world. Delighted that you are a member and hopefully active contribute. GOK this tribe can come up with some good ones
'An example is the "J valve how it got its name" on the other part of this section - bordering on a fairly tale..read to the end.

3..I suspect the reason the regulator was not well received is based in the history of Sea Pro . At the time of its release the company apparently was always in financial straits, the internal strife which lead to the splitting of the company, The parent company remained in Fountain Valley and the other half moved 120 miles north to Ventura .

4..The other two Sea Pro regulators, the DSFS (or was it FSDS?) I was always under the impression that Larry Scott with possible input from Bill Walters designed those two regulators . Did you have any input on their design?
I have not had contact with Larry since he sold his home and moved in with his daughter which was many years ago. I last saw Bill at DEMA he was a manufactures representative and had moved to PNW. Nether one are youngsters I would suspect in there mid to late 70s and like so many totally retired...time indeed passes

Tony , once again welcome to the I suppose, I think, I heard club
SDM

Actually manufacturing of Zepher was set up in Canada, independent of the SeaPro operation run by Bill Walters. But even so the quality of production was so poor that very few were actually sold and the product soon died. For myself my interests turned to climbing and I created Camalot (twin axle cam device used by mountain climbers) licensed to Black Diamond. Zepher was the last scuba regulator I designed, but I had already created a few other successful regulators, for example the Scubapro Mk VII sonic first stage is my patented invention. Yes I am also in the mid to late 70s stage of life, but definitely not retired.

Wow, that is interesting, I am also very familiar with the Camalot
(and of course the Mk-VII).

Thanks

By any chance, do you still have the original 1979 drawings of the Zepher? I have copies and most are very clear, but some of the assembly drawings, the quality of the copy is not great. I can read most of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom