Frontpage help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was first! :eyebrow:

That seems to do the trick, just have a couple of formating problems that I have to tinker with

A standard "e-page" is 800 pixels wide by 600 long (would really not matter how long you made it as you could easily scroll down). That would just about fit the width of any 14" and 15" monitors.

The percentage width is also a good idea, but there are some limiting factors with that as well (when minimizing the window or making it smaller if you have frames built into it). What I do is make a "base" table that is 800 pix's wide... and then go from there by filling in the tables and frames. Knowing a little bit of HTML will certainly expand the capabilities of what "you" can do with FP. You can do this easily by picking up a simple HTML book. Then you can go into the code page and manually insert page breaks, tables, eliminate spaces and the other things that you want or don't want that FP will not allow you to manipulate with their applications.

Thanks for all the info guys, it has been very helpful.
Now I have another question. When I am creating a page everything looks fine and dandy, once I upload it the balance is off and if I view it on the larger screen of our laptop everything is just everywhere. How can I keep things in place?

This won't make you happy, but the best thing you can do is stop using FrontPage.

It builds pages that resize terribly because it positions everything with non-breaking spaces, invisible graphics and stylesheets that don't render well on non-IE browsers.

You might be happier with a "plain" HTML editor like HTML-Kit, which is free and won't add anything to your page that you didn't put there. As an added benefit, your pages will load faster, since they won't contain tons of formatting "glue".

Onceyou start building pages by hand, you can make everything flow exactly as you wish, by modifying the various style and position attributes in the page's stylesheet.

Bradsoft.com has a nice free CSS (stylesheet) editor called TopStyle Light.

Terry

justleesa:
Thanks for all the info guys, it has been very helpful.
Now I have another question. When I am creating a page everything looks fine and dandy, once I upload it the balance is off and if I view it on the larger screen of our laptop everything is just everywhere. How can I keep things in place?

Thanks Terry!
Working from scratch would be all new to me, any suggestions on how to learn to do that?

justleesa:
Thanks Terry!
Working from scratch would be all new to me, any suggestions on how to learn to do that?

Good question!

HTML is actually pretty simple.

For example, this is a complete page with text that will remain centered on any browser:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html>
<head>
<TITLE>This is the title</TITLE>
</head>

<body>
<div align="center"><strong>Hello, World!</strong></div>
</body>

</html>

There's a nice tutorial here:

http://www.cwru.edu/help/introHTML/TCh1.html

For an example of hand-written HTML, you can take a look here: http://bupkis.org (not tooting my own horn, it's just easy to use for an example).

When you do a "View Source" and compare it to the Frontpage code, you'll see an immediate difference.

Terry

As mentioned, Frontpage creates awful pages. And don't ever use it on clean HTML you have written or cleaned up, it will trash it all over again.

HTML is not that hard to learn and there are lots of books, tutorials on the net, etc. Another way to learn is to start with a page that's been generated for you by some program and start editing it, you may find this easier than starting from scratch. (Though if you start with something created from Frontpage you will have a big mess to clean up and it doesn't serve as a very good example.) You can do all sorts of obscure stuff in HTML if you're really into it, but knowing just a small set of basics gets you a long way.

If you really don't want to do all HTML from scratch, some WYSIWYG editors do a better job than others of producing decent HTML and leaving your's alone. I've had pretty good luck with Dreamweaver, though I haven't used the latest version (and of course you've got to buy it.) Haven't looked in ages so I don't know if there are any cheap/basic/good graphic HTML editors out there but maybe someone does.

Back
Top Bottom