Front vs rear entry drysuit zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why the heck does the front entry zipper on a drysuit cost so much more, ie $300 or more on the exact same suit? Is this because it is better constructed, or just that somepeople will pay for the increased convenience?

Just because it's longer.
DS zippers go by the inch.

The zipper cost alone at retail can easily account for nearly 1/2 of the $300. you cite. Add to that more inches of installation, protective flap and it begins to close in on making sense.

Since a front entry suit tends to be self donning there is some value there that need not be reflected in the actual cost of manufacture but can show up in the MSRP. Think of dive computers.... how much more does it really cost to make a nitrox computer over air?

Pete

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some posts have been removed. Please repost when necessary.

Hmmm....I don't think so. Zippers cost pretty much the same when you go to replace them so I suspect that is not the issue driving the increased price.

The cut of a front entry suit is more complex so that may add some additional cost as there may be a couple more panels and some additional stiching. But the zipper lenght and extra labor do not add up to the price difference - that is I suspect mostly a charge for the additional functionality of the self entry feature. If people will pay more for it, companies like DUI will charge more for it.

All that said, I really like the location of the zipper on the Whites Fusion. It is easy to access, makes the suit easy to don with no need for the telescoping torso you see on most front entry suits and with none of the restriction in motion that can occur with a rear entry zipper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom