From the desk of a customs broker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Pearlman

Sorry, I don't know about that. Sounds like more of a software issue on their side.

Airfreight: What are the pallet sizes I can use? Ideally I want to move 6m lengths, but can alter this to 3m although shorter lengths add material cost and time on site

Depends on aircraft and deck cargo vs belly cargo.

But 6m would be oversized for most cargo carriers and would have to go on a front loaded aircraft like the 747F. 3m is doable on some of the common air pallet sizes.

Air pallet = cookie sheet :wink:

That’s what we called them, anyway.

Depends on aircraft and deck cargo vs belly cargo.

But 6m would be oversized for most cargo carriers and would have to go on a front loaded aircraft like the 747F. 3m is doable on some of the common air pallet sizes.

Having done a bit of a trawl I can see my max length is 3.17 - 4.27 on an ULD LD 39

That's a really annoying dimension FFS. Back to max 3m lengths it is then Grrr.

What is being shipped all over? As in who is buying what?

Sure, quite a few medical supplies but even so, shouldn't be filling up like has been expressed in this thread.

What is being shipped all over? As in who is buying what?

Sure, quite a few medical supplies but even so, shouldn't be filling up like has been expressed in this thread.

Cargo is a significant revenue center for trans-oceanic passenger flights, and the 777 with it's much larger cargo capacity caused a huge increase in cargo capacity. Well right now with fewer passenger flights cargo capacity has gone down and prices have gone up.

Cargo is a significant revenue center for trans-oceanic passenger flights, and the 777 with it's much larger cargo capacity caused a huge increase in cargo capacity. Well right now with fewer passenger flights cargo capacity has gone down and prices have gone up.

I misunderstood. I knew there was gouging going on but assumed if passenger flights were being used for transiting cargo, that was because there was more cargo being shipped too.

There is no method for self reporting to Customs. The express courier (Fedex, etc.) would send you an invoice for clearance fees and duties.
Would they send it to the recipient of the package or the sender?

I order stuff from China via AliExpress frequently and have been for a couple years. I've also been surprised when things on Amazon ship directly from China on occasion (N95 masks I ordered in January for example). Wires, circuit boards, electronic components etc. I've never seen a bill from anyone other than when I buy the item on the website. I ass-U-MEd that the sellers were paying whatever had to be paid to get an item here. A few times I've had items get "stuck" in customs for a few days. Other than the delay in delivery, I haven't had any problems associated with that.

I misunderstood. I knew there was gouging going on but assumed if passenger flights were being used for transiting cargo, that was because there was more cargo being shipped too.

It is classic supply vs demand. And I doubt that any of the cargo carriers will be doing anything significant to increase capacity as once passenger flights resume supply is going to go up again. Though I predict it will be at least six months before everything gets back to something resembling normal.

Back
Top Bottom