• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

From the desk of a customs broker

Discussion in 'Non-Diving Related Stuff' started by Marie13, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Your experience was different because you brought it back to the US yourself. Many people think bringing back something and ordering from overseas are the same thing. They are totally different. And I can’t stress that enough.

racanichou and Lorenzoid like this.
  2. guruboy

guruboy Divemaster ScubaBoard Supporter

I have also ordered Santi gear from Europe before. As others have mentioned, it’s much cheaper. Fees were minimal. It was shipped FedEx and FedEx sent me a bill for clearing customs.

that was an online order direct to customer, so I guess not covered by Marie’s work.

@Marie13 did the trade war decrease your business traffic from people importing less and “buying American”?

Dark Wolf and StefinSB like this.
  3. Marie13

Not really. It only applies to China, not anywhere else.

4. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I agree with what you said in your previous post.

I wouldn't go so far as to never order from overseas, but if I did, I would make a reasonable effort to pay the customs duty rather than actively attempt to avoid it (for example, by shipping via post). But I'm one of those weirdos who just generally believes in following rules, regardless of whether I may disagree with them or the likelihood of not getting caught breaking them--and I disagree with plenty of my government's rules. I hardly drive over the speed limit.

Dark Wolf and The Chairman like this.
  5. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

The very highest quality boat parts in Stainless Steel are made in Europe, either UK or Norway. I had ordered 2 door locks for external doors from Trioving before the tariffs ($800 each) and was surprised to have DHL charge me an extra $100 on the third one when I needed another. A week later.

But nothing made in the US even comes close in quality. At least with Santi I can choose to buy from an American dealer or switch to DUI....

I was very happy the $54,000 heat exchanger for the main engine was purchased before tariffs were even considered.

6. Marie13

It’s not evading duties. There really appears to be a different clearance method. If you go with the express couriers, you get a bill for clearance fees (for them actually doing the clearance). That doesn’t happen on shipments via the postal service. I’ve tried to get a better handle on how the post office handles international clearances and such, but no one I’ve asked has been able to tell me.

laikabear and Lorenzoid like this.
  7. Marie13

Then you’re stuck.

8. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

I was indeed.

9. Marie13

I’m waiting to see how the corona virus thing is going to affect int’l shipping. The CNY holiday was extended three days to Sunday. I. Addition, Shanghai businesses are being told not to reopen until Feb. 10. A lot of the stuff I handle comes out of Shanghai.

10. StefinSB

StefinSB Manta Ray

I order things from Europe for the last 20 years. Never had any more burocratic BS to deal with than eg the DMV.

Dark Wolf and ajmcc like this.