From Nikonos V to D300 - Wow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaLevelScuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey gang, just found this group and would like to say hello. For the past 20 years I have been using a Nikonos V with many different lenses and accessories. I've decided to jump into the digital world and got myself a point and shoot coolpix (S550), used on 1 trip to Belize and hated not being in control of the camera. So now I have a D300, with a Sigma 105 lense.

So my questions to those of you who use the D300, any tips and pointers in learning this camera, it has more functions than alot of software, I would be appreciative of them. Before anyone offers me to read the manual, I've already started, if you own one you know its not a 1 evening read. This is my first DSLR, so excuse me if I ask any question that may be obvious to the experienced users.

Schott

Your new system is a LOT better for WA than your old and trusty N5, because you can actually see the picture before it is taken on your new camera's 100% coverage viewfinder... so a WA lens (anything like Nikkor 10.5mm; Tokina 10-17; Sigma 10-20mm; Nikkor12-24mm; I would say in this order, other people might disagree) with 2 strobes on good arms, is a very nice road to take now.

Well you are an UWPhotographer already, operationally you just have more options on aperture and speed, you can change the ISO underwater, the controls are in different places, and in most conditions you don't have the crucial need to manually set the focus, looks like you are all set to go.

If you think you still need a deeper introduction to Digital SLR UW Photo, in your case I would just suggest 3 things:
- Underwater Photography Online Course (life-time fee);
- Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer, 3rd Edition: Digital and Traditional Techniques
- Ken Rockwell Nikon D300 User's Guide - FREE it will help you understand the advanced menus and how to get more color and speed from your photos, have in mind that Ken is NOT an UW Photographer, so some of his amazingly good advice might not apply below the surface!

Good luck and welcome to the 21st century!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom