Frog Kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I swim laps at the pool I am very good at the frog kick, put a pair of fins on me and it goes out the window. Any suggestions?

Do you know how to breast stroke? It's the exact same thing.

When swimming breast-stroke laps the "frog kick" is a leg kick and what your feet are doing is almost immaterial. In diving it's all about the ankles - pointing your feet the right way, having the blades of the fins in the proper plane, and rotating the ankles properly.

As Lynn suggests, the easiest, surest way to learn it is to have someone behind you moving your feet/ankles/legs in the proper fashion. Once you "feel" how it's supposed to feel it's much easier.

That said, the "idea" that helped me get it is to think about "clapping with your feet."

Is it really? I always have the impression it is not quite, especially on the end part of the kick. I can't put my finger on it tho :confused:

I think a frog kick with fins has a lot more ankle articulation when positioning the paddle.
The breaststroke uses the surface area of your leg and foot, so keeping your feet aligned with the vertical would be more appropriate.

What type of fins are you using? Can make a big difference.

I spent a couple of years trying to get in the habit of frog kicking. Never did quite feel right. Then I did a cave class. After 4 days of using the frog kick all dive every dive I got the hang of it.
Now flutter kicking feels weird.

At least the way I learned it, there is a LOT more motion at the hip and knee in a breast stroke kick, than there is in the diving frog kick.

The mechanics are pretty simple: Starting from the horizontal position, thighs straight out behind you, knees bent about 45 degrees, fins parallel to the bottom. Separate your feet; most of this is rotation, with a slight increase in distance between the knees as well. Keep fins parallel to the bottom while you do this.

Now rotate your ankles so the bottoms of your fins are facing one another, and try to clap the bottoms of your feet together like a seal does its flippers.

The big traps are: Bending at the hip, too much separation of the knees, and trying to bring the TOPS of the feet together (which is what I was doing). Not keeping the fins horizontal during the loading phase is problematic as well, because it provides a ton of drag.

The biggest problem with trying to learn this stuff by yourself is that you cement bad habits, and they can be hard to break. I am very glad that NW Grateful Diver, who was my early mentor, told me simply to use a small modified flutter kick from the ankles (relatively difficult to do wrong, so long as you keep your body flat and your knees together) instead of trying to learn the frog kick on my own. Steve White, my Fundies instructor, had me on the right track in one day.

Read the thread on proper finning, ok with that technique. I am trying to get the hang on "frog finning". When I swim laps at the pool I am very good at the frog kick, put a pair of fins on me and it goes out the window. Any suggestions?

Practice more. A few dozen laps while wearing fins and you'll have the frog kick down. You've got to swim far enought that you get tired. You'll learn the most when you're tired and you're trying to find the most efficient kick.

The breast stroke uses the "whip" kick and requires some minor bend in the waist to keep the feet from coming way out of the water, it is not the "frog" kick despite popular misconception.

The recovery of the "whip" kick is done "by bringing the heels toward the buttocks as much as possible without upsetting body position and allowing the knees to drop toward the bottom of the pool" according to American Red Cross "Swimming and Water Safety" manual, page 105.

Body position and kick recovery of the "frog" kick, as demonstrated in the 5thd-x video is not consistent with the "whip" kick. And if you tried to do the scuba divers "frog" kick at the surface while swimming your feet would be a full 12-18 inches out of the water and generate zero propulsion. And you'd look like a drowning dork.

I have split fins and use (try to use) the frog kick when hovering. Ok with the breast stroke in the pool. Realized from the videos that I am doing the back frog. Gonna have to watch the ankle movement of the forward frog.

umm, there should be no kicking while hovering...what exactly are you trying to do? this is coming out sounding short, but i don't mean it that way.

Perhaps he means... while horizontal?

horizontal, want to go slow, kinda hang out, hover wasn't a good choice of wording
know the practice will get it, watched the video's trying to imitate the ankle motions at my desk at work, what I would do for some water right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom