Frog Kick After Total Hip Replacement - Posterior Approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting. I have a right knee replacement, & I've just had a left hip replacement 6 weeks ago.
My frog kick was a little wonky with the knee replacement, it will be interesting to see how it goes with the hip.

I have great physical therapy for strengthening frog kick muscles since Jan 23 hip replacement. I will try to post videos of some of these later this week as I’m on the road now.

Thanks for posting. I have a right knee replacement, & I've just had a left hip replacement 6 weeks ago.
My frog kick was a little wonky with the knee replacement, it will be interesting to see how it goes with the hip.

Hope that your recovery is going well @mddolson . I was eventually able to frog kick just fine, but climbing the ladder to board the dive boat was an unexpected challenge at first. I had to match feet on the steps and climb with the good leg. It would remind me if I forgot, but that is all good now.

A mate of mine had both a posterior approach and recently an anterior approach for the other hip. He said the anterior approach was way better for recovery time and overall pain.

I did a search of the forums for my question and came up empty. I realize that this forum is intended more for dive physiology, but couldn't find a better option to drop this into.

I broke my hip in a bicycle crash 3 months ago that required a total hip replacement. Apparently, I did a real number on my femur. Those that have experienced this know of the post-surgery hip precautions to avoid dislocation of the new joint. Hip precautions are different depending on the surgical approach. Mine was a posterior approach.

While I know that I will be safe with a flutter kick, I prefer to frog kick and be able to keep station with a reverse frog kick.

My physical therapy included an exercise that rotated my bent lower leg/foot toward the back of my other leg, but not to open up to the outside... which is what one does when initiating a frog kick.

Anyone out there with a Posterior Approach THR that frog kicks with no issues?

DAN does not provide recommendations for this particular question... only diving after joint replacement. And yes, I have reviewed the studies relating to post-THP and breast stroke.

Thanks in advance.
I had my hip done August of 2018 and frog kick is no problem.

Just need to get my tanks hydro'd & I'll be ready to go.
Been walking 3-5 km daily feeling good this spring.
Can't wait to get back in the water.
Please lift the stay at home order on June 2 as promised, Mr Ford!

Got my tanks hydro tested, O2 cleaned & visual inspection
last week. Went for a dive a Kingston, Portsmouth harbour, shore dive, Sunday. Water was 60 deg F, visibility about 35 ft. Max depth 37ft, 40 min.
I had a slight cramp in my left calf near the end of the dive. Need to work on the toe rises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom