Fringeheads and Baby Seal Lobos Sunday April 6th dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocWong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What a nice day of diving all over the area. As I drove into Pt Lobos I passed about 20 dive vehicles and lots of divers at Monastery which is a very good sign of what Pt Lobos will be like.

Pt Lobos was like a glassy lake! Johnathan, Rob and I got in with our scooters and got to the mouth of Whaler's Cove where we descended to about 25 feet. We went North for a minute or so, then turned West staying at 70 feet for awhile. Then it got deeper and we were on the close side of Great Pinnacle, all very pretty, going between some nice pinnacles. Boy did I want to stop and take some video, but we had a plan.

We then scootered directly North and hit Twin Peaks, where we stayed at depths were 130 to 150' for 15 minutes. Johnathan gave the signal that we were going to be here for 15 minutes as planned, we clipped our scooters off (in my case with the bigger scooter, just held it by the front strap), and hung around. I was able to take some decent video.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use my new "real" video camera and just had my little Canon Digital camera that I've been shooting video with. Look forward to some better video...maybe, now that I have a pretty good video camera. The price is how big it is. I'll mount it on my scooter and that should make it more manageable.

Time to go and we headed East following the pinnacle contour along what is called the "Road." When we got to 70 feet, we switched to our deco gas and hung around for a bit. I always especially like this part of the dive as I find it relaxing, just hanging and relaxing..very "zen" for me. Ok, it's now time to go and we head North back into Whaler's Cove.

We stop by the side of Middle Reef and Rob points something out to me. At first I thought it was a whitish nudibranch and as I look closer, I see a little cute fishy in a hole that couldn't have been more than a quarter inch round. I was amazed at how Rob knew where it was as the Fringehead retreated into the hole and came back out as if curious about me. Sorry I had to deply my little camera and do some video of it. I did throw our deco off by another 2 minutes, but an extra 2 minutes at 40 or so feet didn't sound bad to me.

We continue our travel back to the ramp, keeping to our deco schedule and get pretty close to the ramp thanks for Johnathan's navigation!

Some of us were getting ready for a second dive, but that was thwarted by a harbor seal nursing her pup on a rock right next to the ramp where we would enter the water. That was quite a site and even though we were all closer than the 150' requirement, mother seal and pup were not disturbed. I don't think anyone did a 2nd dive out of repect for them.

Dive Time: 90 minutes, max depth 145, min temp was 46 (corrected) degrees.

.... and who are theses fellows blocking the way...

Picture%20016.jpg

oh... never mind :wink:

Picture%20018.jpg

Nice to see you Doc... it was crazy out there.... Main Street Pt Lobos... seeing everyone underwater was almost as fun as seeing everyone in the parking lot :)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use my new "real" video camera and just had my little Canon Digital camera that I've been shooting video with. Look forward to some better video...maybe, now that I have a pretty good video camera. The price is how big it is. I'll mount it on my scooter and that should make it more manageable.
Dive Time: 90 minutes, max depth 145, min temp was 59 degrees.

Not so fast Mr! You cannot slip that in and not let on what you finally got :)
(BTW your video files went out today)

Yes, it was Grand Central Station underwater. Good thing we can't verbally talk underwater, we'd be talking till we ran out of air!

OK, on the video camera, I'll fess up. I got the VX2000, housing, 100 degree lens and the dual 21 watt HID lights. I don't know if my videos will improve, but the equipment certainly has!

:D

Yes, it was Grand Central Station underwater. Good thing we can't verbally talk underwater, we'd be talking till we ran out of air!

OK, on the video camera, I'll fess up. I got the VX2000, housing, 100 degree lens and the dual 21 watt HID lights. I don't know if my videos will improve, but the equipment certainly has!

Did you just plan on surprising us with videos from the new camera and then give us the news?

Congrats on the purchase! I can't wait to see the videos you get now.

Dive Time: 90 minutes, max depth 145, min temp was 59 degrees.
Hmmm...Doc must have been on top of a thermal the whole dive. I do trust my own thermometer, and it registered 50F. (That corresponds to about 46F on CT's gauge!)

Bruce

Cool, & good for you. Of course now you know you cant blame the equipment for poor results :) (which sucks in my case for sure!)

Thanks! It was fun running into you guys!!!!

.... and who are theses fellows blocking the way...

Picture%20016.jpg

oh... never mind :wink:

Picture%20018.jpg

Nice to see you Doc... it was crazy out there.... Main Street Pt Lobos... seeing everyone underwater was almost as fun as seeing everyone in the parking lot :)

Back
Top Bottom