Friends don’t let friends join MySpace...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure why school officials have time to surf myspace, but they don't seem to have enough time to deal with real issues that are impacting schools, kids, parents, and society. IOW's why are they surfing myspace instead of doing their job!

Don't blame Myspace. I think that anyone who puts a lot of personal content on those types of sites is a fool, but I also believe that one should not have a diploma withheld because of a picture with a stupid caption on myspace. The leap from a photo of a woman drinking... something.. wearing a pirates hat to the promotion of underage drinking is absurd! And these are the folks in charge of Higher Education? SCARY!

Recently there has been news on college review boards viewing myspace to make decisions on if a student should be accepted.

I agree with Cath, people need to pay more attention to THEIR business, and stay out of others. HOA's, churches, and all kinds of associations are just full of people who want to tell everyone else how they need to live. It's bad enough that we have an increasingly intrusive government, but that virus seems to be spreading! :shakehead

Wayward Son:
I'm with you on that. But for the near term, the bottom line is that employers are starting to look for your pages to see what they can find out about you. With that in mind I think it can pay off to go over them & make sure there's nothing that may be even remotely considered harmful to your image before you start sending our resumes.

How does one determine what may be considered *harmful* by a potential ANYONE?

Not possible.

As a photo of a woman at a Halloween party resulted in denying a BS, and teaching cert, where does one draw the line?

What if your employer thinks diving is dangerous, and decides that they are not going to hire people who participate in dangerous sport activities? Meanwhile, your myspace page is covered with offensive DIVING photo's!

The reality is that even if they pass laws saying that people can not judge others or deny them XXXX due to myspace contents, it still can happen, and very easily.

yea, right on.

on college review boards viewing myspace to make decisions on if a student should be accepted.
Our college counselor said they are encouraging getting on school's mailing lists because the schools are tracking that and it matters. pew

Why people would put something online, such as pictures of themselves being idiots, is totally beyond me.
I'm on Facebook and have a very limited profile. You can't see my profile unless you're my friend. I don't have any revealing information on there at all...

Some of the myspace pages I've seen make me want to throw up. I refuse to join. What a waste of life.

yeah, it can be hard in some cases to tell what should come down. But not so much in others. For example, if you're a female & you post pics of yourself flashing or maybe competing in a wet T shirt contest during spring break, it's pretty safe to say that many employers who find that may well decide that you don't present a public image they want to be associated with.

In truth it's all about having an expectation of privacy. Anything that you post out on the internet to a site like myspace you have no expectation of privacy, therefore that information can be obtained and used against you by people like these. These sites contain "Public Profiles" which means you want anything there viewed by the general public.

Personally I do not think the general public needs to know all that much about me, my SB profile is about as much as i'm willing to provide to people that I do not know. If I ever had the incling to setup a site by which I could share BLOG's and images with my friends I would set it up to be password protected community which my friends would have to join..... Maybe I should compete with myspace on that!

You know, I work for a private educational institution in Naples, FL - there are very few of us who have full access to the world. The students aren't allowed on MySpace, YouTube, etc.. SmartFilter is a nice thing to have. :)

and what happens when they take a trip with a friend to Japan

or go to their grandparents

or outsmart you?

Cause mine just outsmart me.

which is not a bad thing...

Hey baby, what they do on their own time outside of the campus is on their parents hands.. while they are on the network at the school, its my game :)

Most folks don't complain.. those who do usually have other motives.. they can take it to the Dean of Students or CFO if its a big deal :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom