Fridays Photo ~ Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caliscuba once bubbled...
I have to put in my little blurb. :)

Dee-

I love these photo threads that you start. Every day, the first thing that I look for on SB is your photo threads. Keep up the good work...these photos are amazing! :)

Thanks,

Patrick

I'm so glad you're enjoying them! But I have to confess it's a totally selfish thing. I won't get back in salt water for awhile so this way I get to see cool pictures every day that helps with the withdrawal! :wink:

Jaytor once bubbled...

All three were photographed off the Kohala Coast on the Big Island, HI.

Great photos. I know this is off topic but, I'm thinking of going to the Big Islandnext year and would value any advice you could provide about the area where you took these shots.

Thanks
TedJ

Islamorada, Keys
Oly 4040 no strobe.

photo017.jpg

Ted -

All three photos were taken in 40 or so feet of water in the area between the Mauna Lani resort and Puako beach. The Mauna Lani has a sea turtle release program which results in the largest concentration of sea turtles anywhere in Hawaii. I've had some dives where I've seen over a dozen sea turtles. The Big Island is often under-rated as a dive destination, but I think this is because most divers dive out of Kona. The reefs further north, in the area where these turtles were photographed, are in MUCH better shape, with larger contentrations of turtles, octopus, crustaceans, and fish life. My wife and son have actually dived with humpbacks (two separate dives - six months apart). There are some types of marine life found around Kona that aren't found further north, so it's worth doing a few dives out of Kona as well, but I prefer diving north.

Bomber - nice photo - I particularly like it in black and white.

- Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom