Freshwater Diving Jersey Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mutiny5754

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, kinda been out of the diving loop since 2009. Picked up some gear back in 2010 and sadly have not even used it. Was looking for any groups local that dive round valley, dutch springs or any other freshwater spots. I will get my tank a visual and go through all my gear before jumping in. I am debating on selling the main stuff and keeping the basics. I dont dive regularly and with too many hobbies and empty pockets its tough to add another hobby to the list, esp an expensive one!! Hoping to get my feet wet and try out the gear to possibly reconsider selling it, or just to use it and part with it. I can always rent a setup for the rare times i do go.

Would also offer up the option to sell the gear the same day or weekend after I use and anyone interested wants to test it as well.

Thanks
Mike

My son got certified this year - we have gone to Round Valley a few times - closer and cheaper than Dutch but not as much to see. If interested we could make a trip. Did you get your feet wet or are you still looking for a dive? May be interested in your gear depending on the gear.

I've been looking to get back in the water. Free most weekends as well some weekdays in Oct. Let me know if there's a day you're looking to head out.

Right now - tomorrow - Saturday 9/21 in the morning looks good - have some mid afternoon plans that can not be moved. Will post what time later today for Saturday that I expect to be at Round Valley when I talk to my son - he is in school now. So some time after 3pm today - I will post and if you can make it great.
We usually take 2 tanks each - 1st tank would be for skills review with my son and may be some sight seeing. Second would be for fun only.

10AM on Saturday 9/21 - we will be there - I think it is called the South Lot - just on the right of the boat ramp - Scuba Dive Area parking lot.

---------- Post added September 21st, 2013 at 02:35 PM ----------

Good Dive today - Practice / Training with my son who is a 13 yo. Vis was about 18 feet and temp was a warm 69 degrees at 26 feet. I let him drive the training today to get him more engaged and out of his comfort zone - we had a list of about 15 items to pick from. Lots of buddy breathing swimming around the platform with the octo and passing the primary back and forth. Swam across the platform with the primary out of the mouth blowing bubbles and replaced after hitting the end of the platform. Small steps with CESA. Compass work off the platform - he got lost on the last leg - was less than 10 feet from the platform but could not see it due to him silting up the bottom. When I pointed to the platform he laughed - but the fixation on the compass of a new diver is pretty amazing. So we ended up talking about that one for a while after the dive. Showed him how to deploy the lift bag on a finger reel but I was doing the action - he was watching. We did a little pulling your buddy from depth but he was not comfortable performing that activity so we stopped after one round.
We saw lots of fish and picked up a few fishing weights - this was interesting - I was holding the line and he was doing the cutting. Cut the line fine - but when he was trying to stow the knife - he got off balance and slashed with his hand which of course was holding the knife. I was well aware but we had a very long discussion once on the surface. Good thing he was my son :D... We will work on that a bunch - and continue into next year till he gets that right.
So in all a good dive and good practice with my new buddy...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom