Freshwater diving at a submerged church

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jenn

New
Reaction score
I'm looking for the name of a man-made lake that submerged a tiny village. All that's visible above water is the pinnacle of a Church. It's in a valley surrounded by mountains. A hydroelectric project completed about a half century ago resulted in a dam and an articifical lake....the grave of the ancient village. I know that this lake is less than 24kms from borders of two countires, one to the north and one to the west, and it's about 570 kms from the capital of the country.

It is not known as a dive site..so that probably makes it a great dive site! Anyone out there know of a submerged church. I think it is somewhere in Italy.

Thanks for any information!

It sounds a lot like a lake I used play in as a child. This lake is just inside Spain, near the French border on the Col du Portillon pass near a village called Panticosa.

The milage sounds right, there is a hydro project, and you can see the remains of a village in summer when the lake is low.

I have thought about going back to dive it. The water was pretty cold, though.

Man, if that exists, it's gotta be one of the coolest sites ever. It must have some pitfalls though or it would be famous.

Holy diving Batman!:wavey:

Caymaniac:smbat: :smbat:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom