Freshwater Dive Parks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Buzzacott

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I’m surveying freshwater dive parks around the world. We don’t have one in Western Australia yet and this is the first step in a feasibility study: working out what other parks around the world have on offer.

So, if you’ve dived a freshwater dive park, like a converted quarry, or a lake with a dive trail in it, please let me know the name and location, and I’ll send them my survey. You can post details on here or e-mail me (once I've made five posts I'll be allowed to put my e-mail address up, or, meanwhile, look me up at Edith Cowan University, Western Australia).

Here are a few I’ve dived:
Dutch Springs, Pennsylvania
Stoney Cove, Leicester
Bass Lake, Johannesburg
Lake Rawlins, Virginia.

Anyone know any others?….

Peter Buzzacott
Bunbury, Western Australia

There are MANY in the central USA. One of the biggest is Mermet Springs in southern Illinois. Another is Haigh Quarry in Northern Illinois. Here in Missouri we have the Dive Stop Quarry in New Melle, Quail Run Quarry in Rolla, and Oronogo Blue Water Lake in Oronogo, to name a few.

Whitestar quarry in Gibsonburg, Ohio is my favorite quarry around here.

Tobermory Ontario has the Fathom 5 National Marine Sanctuary, and I believe is the ONLY underwater National Park in Canada.

Hello Peter:

Willow Springs in Richlandtown, PA
Bainbridge Sportsman's Club (near Harrisburg, PA)
Guppy Gulch (near PA/MD Border)
Roundtree (in New Jersey)
There is Diving in Lake George, NY - Historical Site of 7 Bateaux Boats, sunk in 1754 to keep them out of the hands of the French during the French Indian War (US)

Hope these help. Safe diving to you.

Alabama Blue Water Adventures
100 Industrial Park Drive
Pelham, Alabama 35124

Vortex Springs
1517 Vortex Spring Lane
Ponce De Leon, Florida 32455

Tobermory Ontario has the Fathom 5 National Marine Sanctuary, and I believe is the ONLY underwater National Park in Canada.

That might be the only NMS that is truly Canadian, but you also have access to Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary (even though it might not technically be "marine", since it's located on the western edge of Lake Huron). It's known for its number of wrecks, both inside the NMS boundaries and in the waters close by.

I suppose you could make a case for calling it an "ultimate freshwater park", though it's probably not exactly what this thread is supposed to be about.

Last edited:
A popular spot for Ottawa (ON Canada) divers is Morrison's Quarry in Wakefield QC - they have a submerged airplane, tugboat, "submarine", a couple of cars and some equipment left from when it was a working quarry. They also have a bungee jump and are at:

Great Canadian Bungee
1780, Route 105
Chelsea, QC J9B 1P4
Canada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom