Fresh water diving - Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get altitude trained before you KILL yourself. More people die diving in mountain lakes because they lack the proper training. The rules change once you get to altitude. You are required to do a SI once you arrive at altitude. You can't just jump in and dive when you get there.

According to your profile, if you were diving on air tables, your theoretical depth at altitude was 30.48 M or 100 ft. The NDL for that depth is 20 min (not 38).

Go see a doctor immediately. If you don't have DAN INS, get it...:)

Jim:usa:

Not to make it any worse, but it might be a good idea to add another 3m to the depth due to the cold wated. But in any case, to little to late.

Everyone,

Thanks so much for all these replies!!!! I have seen the Hyperbaric doctor yesterday and I'm fine. No DCI! Apparently, I have problems with some bacteria in my stomach, and as soon as I get my results from a lab, I will start taking medications to treat it. Seems like a long drive across the mountain made my stomach irritated.

Gathan, as I said, I am a complete beginer in this, therefore the entire dive was planned by the instructors and a club. I have not used a computer. It is really good local diving club with excellent reputation, so I put my trust in them. Also, your question on TBT is good one, I want to re-check with them once again. They helped me fill in my logg book and told me that TBT was 38 minutes.

I also found out that I have to quit smoking :wink:

CHEERS

I just realized that there was a second page with replies. DIVENUT, what's SI? Do you have any good web sites on Altitute Training and Diving in Mountain Lake? I was searching for some, but could not find any.

THANKS!!!

"I'm pretty new to Scuba Diving with only 12 logged dives and OWD certif. However, I was lucky enough to already experience sea cave dives, night dive, NITROX dive, dives over 25m"

I have questions for you, you have 12 dives and you have already done all of the above do you have all of those as qualification???? I think you should slow down as you can see you are not ready yet to do all that in a safe maner you already had one problem, start thinking about your BUDDY you are putting him in a dangerous position get more experience, then get the proper qualification and you will enjoy diving in a much safer way.
You have done it and now learn from it TAKE YOUR TIME don't do thing with out proper training. By the way I think you should get a Rescue diver course and make sure your BUDDY as one to so as I think you will need it in the future....

Sylvain,

I appreaciate your concern and that's exactly one of the reasons why I decided to join the club. I figure if I like it that much I should try and learn something about it.

First and foremost, I have always dived with the experienced dive masters and instructors therefore I have never ever put anyone in danger. I would never dare to play I am more experience then I am.

Second, all of those dives were approved to me by experienced instructors.

Third, it's not really that much. My deepest dive was 25m, and longest TBT 45m. And diving caves in Blue Grotto, Malta is not really a mission impossible. I'm sure that many people on this board have done waaaaay beyond that.

CHEERS :eyebrow:

Mirjana,

One of the things that is taught in open water classes is how to plan your dive, which includes calculating depths, no-decompression limits, pressure groups and surface intervals. This is an integral part of diving and leaving it up to someone to plan without being able for you to check and verify for yourself may be asking for trouble. It's fine to let someone else plan everything out, but if I were you, I'd learn how to plan for altitude dives if those are the type of dives I'll be doing. Instructor or not, I personally don't like the idea of placing my life in someone else's hands, especially someone I don't know well.

Warren_L:
Mirjana,

One of the things that is taught in open water classes is how to plan your dive, which includes calculating depths, no-decompression limits, pressure groups and surface intervals. This is an integral part of diving and leaving it up to someone to plan without being able for you to check and verify for yourself may be asking for trouble. It's fine to let someone else plan everything out, but if I were you, I'd learn how to plan for altitude dives if those are the type of dives I'll be doing. Instructor or not, I personally don't like the idea of placing my life in someone else's hands, especially someone I don't know well.

GUYS,

I sincerely appreacite your concerns but please give me a break. I told you that's the reason why I joined the club. I got my OWD during the summer holiday and you probably know what the OWD course in the holiday resort looks like. I said, three times already, I understand there's alot I need to learn.

There are some good responses here but also a couple responses of the "the sky is falling" variety regarding the dangers of high altitude diving. It sounds pretty mysterious to the average sea level diver and some adjustment in tables is required, but high altitude diving really is not all that complicated.

When you are diving at altitude you have a few options. You can use a computer designed for high altitude diving that will in effect adjust the NDL and deco requirements for the altitude, you can use the Buhlman high altitude tables (for altitudes from 2301 to 8200 ft), one of the other tables with variable altitude entries, you can use altitude conversions on standard tables, or you can use palm or laptop computers to cut your own tables around actual altitudes, and in some cases travel times and altitdues and time since arriving on site.

When adapting regular tables to high altitude, you need to convert the actual depth at altitude to a theoretical depth. You can do this mathmatically based on how deep you have to go to add another ATA of pressure (since atmospheric pressure is lower at altitude, the depth required to add an additional atmosphere of pressure is less.) or you can do it using a conversion chart which lists various depths on the side, altitudes on the bottom that are used to locate theoretical depths on the chart.

At 3000 feet for example, the theoretical depth for an 80 ft dive would be 89 feet which whould then require you to use a 90 ft depth on the table for the dive rather than 80 ft. and the 90 ft NDL's and RNT's would apply.

You also normally need to account for the ascent from sea level as this is essentially the same as surfacing from a previous dive and results in residual nitrogen time (RNT). Depending on the table and it's rules for high altitude diving, you will normally move over one or more groups for each 1000 ft of ascent and will arrive at altitude with some RNT. And like regular RNT, your group moves back down as your surface interval (SI) increases. In the current PADI tables for example, you go over two repetetive groups for each 1000' of ascent. In the older US Navy tables you move over one group for each 1000 ft.

With a US navy table and a normal get there, say hi, eat lunch, set up your stuff and then go dive surface interval, a diver would be group C when they started with 7 minutes of RNT at 90' (where a 75' dive at 3000 ft will put you on the table) with an adjusted NDL of 23 minutes.

So in this example the diver would be at the NDL on the dive but not overly at risk of getting bent. The US Navy tables are not exactly considered conservative anymore but fudge factors like diving something other than a square profile, slower ascent rates, safety stops etc, increase the saftey factor substantially.

Check with one of the local dive shops in the area where you dove an see about getting into a high altitude specialty course, or if one is not available, find some experienced local divers familar with high altitude diving procedures and learn from them.

Mirjana:
I just realized that there was a second page with replies. DIVENUT, what's SI? Do you have any good web sites on Altitute Training and Diving in Mountain Lake? I was searching for some, but could not find any.

THANKS!!!

SI= Surface Interval

Back
Top Bottom