Fresh water diving - Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mirjana

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to Scuba Diving with only 12 logged dives and OWD certif. However, I was lucky enough to already experience sea cave dives, night dive, NITROX dive, dives over 25m.....I have never experienced any problems whatsoever, nor in the water or after the dive.

This weekend I joined the local club for a dive in a mountain lake at about 1000m above a sea level (3,5 hours drive away from a city). Air temperature was about 16 - 17C, surface about 10C, for bottom I am not sure. We did 23m with TBT of 38 minutes. Again, I had no problems during the dive and immediatly after, but I felt light headache and light nausea the next day, on Sunday. Since it was not unbearable, I had my regular pool training.

Today, I feel nausea and mild headache again. Do you think I should worry or this is simply due to cold water and long drive?

CHEERS

Mirjana:
This weekend I joined the local club for a dive in a mountain lake at about 1000m above a sea level
what level above sea-level did you leave from and return to?
you may have altitude sickness, you may be experiencing DCS.
please go to a diving doctor straight away and get checked out.

lostinspace:
what level above sea-level did you leave from and return to?
you may have altitude sickness, you may be experiencing DCS.
please go to a diving doctor straight away and get checked out.

We left from city which is situated at 303m above sea level and returned to same.

I had normal swimming pool training yesterday.

You really think that's serious?

Mirjana:
We left from city which is situated at 303m above sea level and returned to same.

I had normal swimming pool training yesterday.

You really think that's serious?

Just re-check, not 303m but 116,5 m.

CHEERS

If you were diving at an altitude of 1000m or higher you need to consider the altitude in calculating your limits. It is possible that you might be experiencing decompression sickness. I would suggest getting yourself checked out also.

Hmmm... in your E-Mail you didn't specify wether you were using a dive computer or dive tables. If I had done the dive that you specified and used the DCIEM tables, the corrected depth, given the altitude of 1000M would put me on a decompression profile of 30M for 38 Min. This calls for a decompression stop of 9 Min at 6M and another at 3M for 18Min. I agree with Warren L in that you could be suffering from DCI and should seek medical assistance ASAP. Just to confirm though, is 38 min your actual BT or total dive time ?

You required the following decompression stops, using air as your decompression gas, from that dive profile.

12 meters for 1 minute
9 meters for 3 minutes
6 meters for 21 minutes

Because you did not decompress, you are very likely to have developed decompression sickness.

Seek medical attention now! Do not wait, you have waited far too long already and may be risking long term and even irreversible damage!

Your problem has nothing to do with fresh water.
You did a high altitude dive!

I just ran your profile on V-planner;
V-Planner 3.22 by R. Hemingway, VPM code by Erik C. Baker.

Decompression model: VPM-B

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 1 day 0 hr 0 min.
Altitude = 1,000m
Conservatism = + 2

Dec to 23m (2) on Air, 9m/min descent.
Level 23m 35:27 (38) on Air, 0.65 ppO2, 22m EAD
Asc to 6m (39) on Air, -9m/min ascent.
Stop at 6m 2:07 (42) on Air, 0.31 ppO2, 5m EAD
Stop at 3m 10:00 (52) on Air, 0.25 ppO2, 2m EAD
Asc to sfc. (52) on Air, -9m/min ascent.

Off gassing starts at 16.9 m

It indicates you skipped 12 minutes of deco.

I suggest you go to a chamber right away!

Mike D

I might add that your dive buddy should also be checked. Unless of course they planned to dive different gas mixes and didn't tell you - then I would also find new buddies.

Back
Top Bottom