Frequency of advanced divers practicing CESAs ? [Poll]

Approximately how often have you practiced doing CESAs up till now ?

• Never.

Votes: 121 75.2%
  • A few times.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • About once every 5-10 years.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • About once every 2-4 years.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • About once a year.

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • About once every 5-6 months

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • About once every 3-4 months.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • About once every 1-2 months.

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • More often then once a month.

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UNLESS it is done horizontal shallow while exhaling which is a classic recipe for a blackout.

(Single data point: I can black myself out in a pool swimming underwater fairly easily. Not breathless after even a 4 minute CESA.)

Interesting. I’m skeptical that this is an issue as all students I certified under the PADI system was exerting themselves. Of course I was always right there, I taught the CESA the same way I was taught by my CD and we were tested the same way in my IE,

If students were blacking out ever, I think that would raise some red flags at HQ,

Did you black out when you took OW?

I didn’t because we were never taught it in the pool (oh the standards violations were something!)

Interesting. I’m skeptical that this is an issue as all students I certified under the PADI system was exerting themselves. Of course I was always right there, I taught the CESA the same way I was taught by my CD and we were tested the same way in my IE,

If students were blacking out ever, I think that would raise some red flags at HQ,

Did you black out when you took OW?

I didn’t because we were never taught it in the pool (oh the standards violations were something!)

I was taught blow and go style ascent didn't black out.

I won't teach horizontal in a pool (besides for being a banned practice in most pools) I don't want the risk.

On my own with a paramedic buddy as safety diver and lifeguard on deck I've blacked myself out practicing a high exertion horizontal CESA... So I know it is possible... And a student could/will.

I was taught blow and go style ascent didn't black out.

I won't teach horizontal in a pool (besides for being a banned practice in most pools) I don't want the risk.

On my own with a paramedic buddy as safety diver and lifeguard on deck I've blacked myself out practicing a high exertion horizontal CESA... So I know it is possible... And a student could/will.
Fair enough, in the pool, I switched to teaching at an angle after not too long as I feel that the horizontal CESA as I was trained and tested, simply didn't make sense as it is too far from the reality of expanding gas.

But I would still think that if you feel that this is at risk, if you have experienced it yourself, that you should contact PADI HQ to address it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom