French Polynesia October-January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slimcrappes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
Im planning a long trip to Tahiti/French Polynesia this fall/winter. Booked the flights for a 3 month stay, now I need to come up with an itinerary. I plan on quarantining for the first 2 weeks in Papeete, then visiting Moorea, Raritonga, and Fakarava, in no particular order. I would like to do the whale swim, and do as much diving as possible, budget allowing. Looking also for some good snorkeling and hiking opportunities.
I have never been to FP and i’m hoping for any advice anyone may have for places to stay. I don’t require anything luxurious-actually i prefer basic accommodations. This is a long trip, so budget is a major consideration. I would like to be as near the water as possible, as well as walking distance to whatever shopping/dining options are available. I am trying to learn some French, but it has always been challenging for me, so I’m not expecting to have much more than the most basic phrases at my disposal. Any tips on places to look into would be most welcome. I’m hoping to average less than $100/night on accommodations, less is better. I would prefer to avoid dorms, due to the obvious viral concerns. I’m committed to doing this trip responsibly and with safety for all a primary focus. My internet searches so far have been an exercise in frustration, and I know there is a lot more out there than I’m finding on the usual sites (airbnb, hotels.com etc.)
For the record I am Padi certified RD, about 250 dives. Was almost finished with DM course when the pandemic forced me to abandon it in March.
Any recommendations are welcome,
Thanks in advance!

Have you worked out transport between islands firstly? You have the air Tahiti inter island pass that is nicely expensive and critical you work out routes so you don't have to backtrack to papeete too many times. Not all islands get daily flights - Fakarava usually requires a back to papeete trip. I can't remember what days flights to Fakarava leave. Why not throw in Rangiroa while you're in the tuomotos. There i can recommend good value pensions...Tiena and Marie is awesome. Part board dining with the family the Polynesian way is lovely. You need to search Pensions in FP.
Another transport option is the Arenui supply ship if youre into slow travel. Only wankers pay for an 8 minute flight from Papeete to Moorea anyway so ferry is the best option there.
I like sending myself broke on holidays so I can't give you much help on budget accommodation but I met a couple who were staying at a bed and breakfast in Moorea so there are options but they are pretty limited.
One wonderfully Polynesian way to get around is...hitch hiking! The locals aren't as keen as they used to be but as long as you know the system on moorea you will get a lift...on island time. When the ferry docks its a first in best dressed system...doesn't matter if you're a 20 year old surfer dude or a 50 year old wandering diving old lady, he or she who has walked the furthest gets the lift. If you get to the lady selling coconuts and juices on the hill stop there and someone will pick you up after you've had a drink. I never use taxis, I hitch everywhere in FP purely for the fun of it and making new friends.
You can also try hitching on boats. Ive bummed a lot of nautical miles up in 30 odd years. Even now there is a tinder for boats - i use findacrew.net - expect to contribute to the boat expenses in return for a lift, and its a nice way to travel.

The only other thing I can think of is it is a sin to go to moorea and not buy cakes and take your breakfast at Caramelline.

Don't worry about the language barrier, mostly everyone speaks very good English due to tourism. Really Bonjour, Merci, Sil vous plait, baguette, plongee, bissous, gendarmes, la mer, dauphine, la requin, la baleen, eau, frommage and merde will get you through with locals picking up for you. You can try learning a few polynesian words LaOrana is hello so always useful...tbh the only thing I can say fluently and with great confidence in polynesian is "I cant find my pants"...dont ask how I know that.

Back
Top Bottom