French Polynesia Oct 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disco King

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I am in need of your advice in preparation of a liveaboard to French Polynesia Oct this year. I am trying to make final decision to go or not. Is FP better than Galapagos or Fiji? I am finding air travel from Memphis to FP complex.

I can get to Los Angeles fairly easy, I am wondering what airlines provide direct flight from LAX to PPT at reasonable price. I checked Air France, Quantas, Air Tahiti nui. Anything else?

I plan to go Moorea for few days before liveaboard starts. The goal is to swim with humpback. How is chance to see them in Oct? Is Moorea the best place to see them? Are there operators in Tahiti who may do a day trip to Moorea to see them?

Is air Tahiti the only option to fly from PPT to Moorea, Ragiroa, FAV?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Check United. When I was looking at possible flights for August, United had a flight from SFO (San Francisco) to PPT a couple times a week. As I recall the UA planes are 787s, but no matter what they are flying, they will be a hell of a lot more comfortable than Air Tahiti Nui. I am a retired pilot, and the Tahiti Nui seats on two trips to FP are the worst I have ever experienced in a modern jet aircraft. The food was crap too.

United direct from SF to Tahiti are new, maybe only in the last two years. There were deals to drum up business and generate awareness.

I heard Air Tahiti Nui were upgrading their planes? The one I flew on was pretty old. The LCD displays were like the old Nokia's! Hahah. I thought the flight and food were okay.

For planning, if island hopping, definitely plan out your flights so that you don't end up flying back to Papeete when switching islands. There are direct flights between islands, just not daily.

For whales, I recall there was a rule of only ten snorkellers per boat, so it's upon everyone to take turns. I've not done it myself.

Air Tahiti is the only flying method between islands I saw. I was told the surface interval for inter-island is only 12 hrs instead of 18 or 24, if that helps with your planning.

Moorea is only 30 min by boat. Airport to ferry terminal is about 10 min at a cost of $20/one way.

It looks like I have two days to spare in Papeete, Rangiroa, Moorea or Frakava. Which one would be a better choice? I just want to relax and enjoy nice view.

It looks like I have two days to spare ether in Fakarava or Papeete. Which one would be better choice? I just want to relax and enjoy nice view.

I would check your LOB dive plan and see how many dives your plan to do in fakarava. If it’s not many then maybe stay longer, depending on availability of flights back to Papeete. However there is plenty to keep you busy on Papeete if you like exploring or fancy trying the tiger shark dives there.

It looks like I have two days to spare ether in Fakarava or Papeete. Which one would be better choice? I just want to relax and enjoy nice view.

I liked staying on Bora Bora, Rangiora and Fakarava more than Papeete and Moorea. The former just felt more remote, quiet, but there was definitely not much to do - ride bikes, sit around, read, ... internet was pretty sparse.

Thank you everyone for valuable information. I have decided to stay two days in Moorea after seeing swimming with humpback tour. Has any one done this? Mainly I am curious to hear unbiased info (not from operators) to gaze a chance of seeing them in Oct and whether you can really swim with them. I am not interested in whale watching from a boat (done it many times).

The 2nd day in Moorea I am trying to decide whether to join 4WD or rent a car (more freedom but potential risk).

I plan to spend two nights in Ragiroa. It will allow me to relax and safely situated where my liveaboard starts for 10 nights well in advance. Wish to have a couple more days to spare in Fakarava where liveaboard ends. Unfortunately, it is all the time I can afford on this trip. Also, I usually like coming home right after liveaboard ends.

Additional feedback is welcome.

Thanks again.

On Moorea, rent a car. You will appreciate the freedom and flexibility. Driving is easy, and if you are worried about the risk, just buy the car insurance for peace of mind. Moorea is beautiful, and you can spend the whole day driving around the island and not get tired of it.

Edit: You may find that your credit card and/or your trip insurance provides some coverage for car insurance.

On Moorea, rent a car. You will appreciate the freedom and flexibility. Driving is easy, and if you are worried about the risk, just buy the car insurance for peace of mind. Moorea is beautiful, and you can spend the whole day driving around the island and not get tired of it.

Edit: You may find that your credit card and/or your trip insurance provides some coverage for car insurance.
Thanks. I plan to rent a car for one day and browse around. My credit card works as the primary auto insurance. Still did not want to deal with hassle if anything happens but I can't pass freedom^^. Have you dove in Rangiroa? Will spend 2 nights there. Curious to know the best diving spots. Liveaboard says we have more dives in Fakarava than Rangiroa so 2 extra days in RGI is working my favor. Thanks!

Thanks. I plan to rent a car for one day and browse around. My credit card works as the primary auto insurance. Still did not want to deal with hassle if anything happens but I can't pass freedom^^. Have you dove in Rangiroa? Will spend 2 nights there. Curious to know the best diving spots. Liveaboard says we have more dives in Fakarava than Rangiroa so 2 extra days in RGI is working my favor. Thanks!

Other than going from/to the airport on Rangiora, you can bike around. There's just a single road and not much need for a car. Use GMaps satellite view to see how sparse it is!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom