French exception

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to avoid to be treated as a newbie if I dive in France.
You could get a CMAS 3* cert from your closest affiliated club/national federation. That should be understood and accepted in all of France, I think, despite not being FFESSM.

I'm the only person in history who is going to live forever.
So far so good.
But on a more serious note, divers in the Med find deco on back gas and air to 50m a lot more acceptable than in the US and there is no statistical evidence point to it being more dangerous, most incidents resulting in deaths are still due to health problems.

The Côte d'Azur comes to mind. Marseille to the Italian border.
Yeah the best place to be.

No like? Just don't go there. Plenty of water elsewhere.

That was easy.

1675365471618.png

If I were to go diving in France, where is the best "happening" place for that? (I am talking recreational diving for now).

Where do you do most of your diving in France yourself?
Corsica, of course!
I made some remarkable dives around Centuri.
Also the South is wonderful, near Bonifacio.

I’m sure glad I didn’t know going to 180+ feet on air was a sure death sentence all of those time I did it.
I did not know, too. And before becoming a professional instructor, I did sone 30 or perhaps 40 deep air dives, at 60 m or even more (75 at Montecristo island, just once).
However I had a couple of high risk situations and one very close call.
I classify now those dives as youngster's crazyness.
Never did anything so risky in the last 40 years.

I've said it before, but I'm old and old people repeat their stories so I figure it's ok.

Back in the dark ages when I had to swim uphill in the snow to SCUBA school, my YMCA instructor handed us US Navy dive tables, including deco tables, and taught us how to use them. There was no prohibition against doing deco diving right out of open water. (Well, there was advice to take it easy and gain experience first before diving deep.)

We were warned about oxygen toxicity, and told under no circumstances go deeper than 200'.

Mixed gases? Only crazy daredevils did it. They'd probably cause fatal nose warts in the long run, if they didn't kill you on the dive. (OK, I made that last bit up.)

Makes me wonder how folks in France would look at me. I learned deco in open water, but by current standards I shouldn't dive deco. (Modern standards haven't stopped me. But I have added modern safety protocols, like redundancy.)

(We also got taught how to use altitude tables in open water class.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom