Freeware anti-virus protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The catch is that they don't. They may well maintain their own database up-to-date (which means up to the minute or even second), but I haven't heard of a free one that updates your system in real time. You have to log on and select "update". I used free ones for several years, mostly AVG for the anti-virus, but then I switched to a paid one that updates my computer in real time without my even knowing about it. The one I use is Bullguard - at around $30/year I don't think it'll break the bank.

Another point about free versions. They rarely have the scope of good paid software. My Bullguard checks for malware of all sorts, not just viruses. You check in the small print what AVG does.

I use AVG and if I remember rightly you decide in the settings how often you want it to check for updates.
It certainly checks every time I start the PC.

No spam, No Virus and no malware.
It just works great.

Does Avast still spam your computer with ads whenever it updates?

I use AVG for virus
Comodo for firewall
MBAM for general spyware scans (for now)

I use AVG and if I remember rightly you decide in the settings how often you want it to check for updates.
It certainly checks every time I start the PC.

That's new then, because it did neither when I had it. Even so, if checking is initiated by the computer then that's not much good, because it's the server that knows (or should) that there's an update that needs to be on client machines. I find with Bullguard that can be as seldom as daily or less, or as frequent as more than once an hour. I've got another year of Bullguard paid for, and I'll certainly research these alternatives before I renew, though.

That's new then, because it did neither when I had it. Even so, if checking is initiated by the computer then that's not much good, because it's the server that knows (or should) that there's an update that needs to be on client machines. I find with Bullguard that can be as seldom as daily or less, or as frequent as more than once an hour. I've got another year of Bullguard paid for, and I'll certainly research these alternatives before I renew, though.

I just installed AVG on my wife's new netbook last night. With the free version it does an auto update check, but you don't have the option to select the frequency, it does it daily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom