Freeport Liberty Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm talking about this one here:

upload_2019-3-28_13-43-57.png

George_Vancouver_Wreck.JPG
Liberty Ship BF Shaw.jpg
liberty ships.jpg

I grew up in Texas and this thread is bringing back a lot of fond memories.

We used to dive the Vancouver. Normally, the vis was bad and the longshore current was ripping. But on those flat, calm days when the green water came close to the beach, it was a fun dive close to shore that we do do with very few fuel dollars. We could dive all day and be back for early supper.

But, it ain't the Caribbean...

As previously posted, the intact ones are the Shaw and Allen. The fog was just a junk pile. We have been out there a number of times. On a good viz day, you can see almost the entire tanker. I have swum completely around it on one dive whichever one it is. Sometimes the bottom haze layer is above the bow. If you drop down into one of the holds, you go into the murk layer. When the viz is bad on the wrecks, we do star reef or the cutoff rig structure. Since they are frames versus solid, it seems like the bad viz does not collect on them.

We do that area for our aow / deep cert dives. This year we will also be doing tech dives on them. There have been a lot of lionfish on them as well. With the extended snapper season, we will be going out a lot.

One time out of several, we had fantastic viz on the Vancouver. It appeared as though one half was missing. Great dive if the viz cooperates, which seems to be rarely. The current is almost always ripping. You can tell by the buoy before you drop. Definitely the closest and most convenient.

We also tried West Bank which is close to the Vancouver. However that was below the murk layer.

Since we do not normally charter, we fill any non-training spots with free trips for our shop customers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom