Freeflow on boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The removing hose procedure is just to release air trapped inside the hose?

Can we just disconnect the first stage from the tank and press the purge button??

The removing hose procedure is just to release air trapped inside the hose?

This was more about adjusting the orifice. (this assumes the reg is connected to a tank)
1) turn off tank
2) remove the Low Pressure (LP) hose from the second stage.
3) look inside the fitting the on the second stage where the hose has come off, you should see either a slot head or hex (alan key) head, this is the orifice.
4) press hold the purge button (stops the seal being cut by the orifice) and turn the orifice about 12th turn clockwise
5) release the purge button
6) reconnect the LP hose (only lightly tighten, an o-ring does the sealing)
7) turn on the tank (slowly)
8) check the freeflow has stopped, check it breaths okay.

Or take it back to the shop and ask them to adjust the reg.

See post above (#13). Here is a pic.

Attachments

• Cracking.jpg
    Cracking.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 103
See post above (#13). Here is a pic.

This was more about adjusting the orifice. (this assumes the reg is connected to a tank)
1) turn off tank
2) remove the Low Pressure (LP) hose from the second stage.
3) look inside the fitting the on the second stage where the hose has come off, you should see either a slot head or hex (alan key) head, this is the orifice.
4) press hold the purge button (stops the seal being cut by the orifice) and turn the orifice about 12th turn clockwise
5) release the purge button
6) reconnect the LP hose (only lightly tighten, an o-ring does the sealing)
7) turn on the tank (slowly)
8) check the freeflow has stopped, check it breaths okay.

Or take it back to the shop and ask them to adjust the reg.
Thank you so much. I always thought these were done with the knob on the left of the 2nd stage.

I had a double check on the atomic Z2 sectioned drawing and it's for 2 different setti g. It make full sense to me now.

Thank you so much. I always thought these were done with the knob on the left of the 2nd stage.

Many second stage regulators (balanced and not) do not have a user adjustment knob. In all the basic adjustment is done with the orifice and then the user can fine adjust if the reg is balanced and has the adjustment knob.

Many second stage regulators (balanced and not) do not have a user adjustment knob. In all the basic adjustment is done with the orifice and then the user can fine adjust if the reg is balanced and has the adjustment knob.

Thanks mate.

Couple of things here. First off, don't go inside to adjust anything. While it's not difficult and I personally like people to DIY regs, you do need to understand what you are doing. Until you do, it is more likely you will make things worse than fix anything.

Secondly, you DO NOT have a problem. High performance regulators (and many not so high) have a feature in them that improves the breathing characteristics of the regulator. Without a long explanation, when air flow is started a slight vacuum is created inside the reg, this pulls the diaphragm in more which in turn increases the air flow and creates more vacuum. The process continues until the reg is a full free flow and will continue to free flow until something creates enough back pressure to stop the cycle- your hand over the reg or it turned upside down in the water. Hitting the reg or pushing the purge button won't and shouldn't stop the flow unless it’s mechanically stuck which is unlikely. How much back pressure it takes to interrupt the cycle depends on a lot of things including the design of the reg, how well it’s tuned and where the operator setting are (the +/- or surface/dive lever if it has one). The better the reg, the more back pressure it's going to take to stop a full free flow. How the initial flow begins does not matter and pushing the purge button is obviously a way to start air flow. Contrary to what seems right and what some are telling you above, your reg SHOULD go into a full free flow when you push the purge more than a slight amount and stay there if there is nothing (your mouth on the reg or hand over the mouthpiece)to create the necessary back pressure to stop the cycle. Free flows are loud and unnerving, esp to a new diver but are normal in a properly working high performance reg.

Couple of things here. First off, don't go inside to adjust anything. While it's not difficult and I personally like people to DIY regs, you do need to understand what you are doing. Until you do, it is more likely you will make things worse than fix anything.

Secondly, you DO NOT have a problem. High performance regulators (and many not so high) have a feature in them that improves the breathing characteristics of the regulator. Without a long explanation, when air flow is started a slight vacuum is created inside the reg, this pulls the diaphragm in more which in turn increases the air flow and creates more vacuum. The process continues until the reg is a full free flow and will continue to free flow until something creates enough back pressure to stop the cycle- your hand over the reg or it turned upside down in the water. Hitting the reg or pushing the purge button won't and shouldn't stop the flow unless it’s mechanically stuck which is unlikely. How much back pressure it takes to interrupt the cycle depends on a lot of things including the design of the reg, how well it’s tuned and where the operator setting are (the +/- or surface/dive lever if it has one). The better the reg, the more back pressure it's going to take to stop a full free flow. How the initial flow begins does not matter and pushing the purge button is obviously a way to start air flow. Contrary to what seems right and what some are telling you above, your reg SHOULD go into a full free flow when you push the purge more than a slight amount and stay there if there is nothing (your mouth on the reg or hand over the mouthpiece)to create the necessary back pressure to stop the cycle. Free flows are loud and unnerving, esp to a new diver but are normal in a properly working high performance reg.

Thanks! Although, I guess I just suspected something was weird because turning to any orientation in the water didn't stop it and with the other gear I've used, it always stopped when doing that. I was worried that it would freeflow into my mouth underwater if I used the purge underwater. But it seems you are saying the backpressure from my mouth would prevent it from doing that, makes sense. Thanks! :)

I understand how the reg works... but i would assume a high performance balanced reg to have pre ventury pressure just very slightly higher than the ambient. Else, it'll be air blowing into your lung instead of what they claimed to be normal breathing. But i do understand what you were trying to say.
Thanks! Although, I guess I just suspected something was weird because turning to any orientation in the water didn't stop it and with the other gear I've used, it always stopped when doing that. I was worried that it would freeflow into my mouth underwater if I used the purge underwater. But it seems you are saying the backpressure from my mouth would prevent it from doing that, makes sense. Thanks! :)
When the mouthpiece facing down, the water should be able to create sufficent pressure to close the ventury.

The regulator should be designed to retrievable when removed. If the reg freeflow, the 2nd stage will be propulsing and moving around. And i doubt it is designed that way.

But if the freeflow is just mild bubble and nothing like pressing the purge button, there's nothing to worry.

Please send it to LDS if u aren't sure of what you should do and tune.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2015 at 06:56 PM ----------

So I have a brand new atomic Z2. Jumped in water. Switched to snorkel and accidentally submerged 2nd stage with mouthpiece up. Started free flowing, which is normal. Couldn't get it to stop by submerging it properly or adjusting the tune valve. Had to clasp it with my hand, which worked. Did a dive fine, although did not use purge button at all, came back onboard with 700 PSI. Pressed the purge button on the boat, not very hard and it started freeflowing on the boat. Could not get it to stop without clasping it with my hand.

Does anything sound strange here? I'm a very new diver but I've never seen anyone's reg freeflow on the boat just by pressing the purge. And all the rental gear I've used in the past, if it started freeflowing on while on the surface, you just submerge it, turn it to the proper orientation and it stops. I don't know if this is normal or not! Does all the above sound normal?

Thanks! :wink:
Just found this.

https://youtu.be/t8lMDGmPlGs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom