Freedom Diving in Gloucester?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Relatively new shop and not much on their website. Anyone ever do business with them?

Stopped in a few months ago. The owner is very nice. He's a commercial diver, so all his gear has that kind of spin. For example, he has drysuits, but they're a brand I've not heard of and they are all crushed neoprene. The owner uses these suits in his work so it makes sense. No frills just the basics. i got the impression he sells what he uses. I didn't get info on fills or what type training he offers. I did buy a pair of ankle weights from him. They ended up being too short and have a small rip in them. Again, nice guy, but I don't think I'll be doing business there. I prefer CAD when I'm on the cape.

I've been by there and I agree, the owner is a nice guy. He mentioned that he is working on buying a dive boat which could be an excellent addition to our diving options. He has an interesting selection of gear, but not usually what I'm looking for.

I tend to find myself at Undersea Divers in Beverly for most of my purchases (probably bought 80% of my gear there). Bob Boyle (imho) treats divers well. He has always taken care of me and my wife (we bought our first wet suits from him in 2004 and our dry suits in 2006).

I have also bought gear from Andy's Sports Shop in Fitchburg, Cape Ann Divers in Gloucester, Burlington Scuba in Burlington, PG Dive in Newton, East Coast Divers in Brookline (I bought at the old Framingham location), and mass Diving in Natick. I like to spread it around to the good and decent shops so they survive and we have options.

Again, really nice guy. His shop is worth a stop just for some of the artifacts he has kicking around.

The suits he carries are Atlan and they are top quality. They may not have some of the aesthetic appeal of the more well known names but they are well made and priced right. Overall, he keeps it simple and carries what he knows based on his experience.

For right now, he seems to have partnered up with Easy Diver for charters.

Easy Diver, Fred Calhoun. Been around forever.

Back
Top Bottom