Freediving fins when scuba diving from a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I infer from that that you enjoy hooning around underwater without stopping to closely watch what’s happening with the flora and fauna.

The long freediving fins are very much a one-trick-pony. Fine going forward scissor kicking but pretty useless for positioning using any of the myriad other finning techniques, nor in confined spaces even swim throughs.

Most finning efficiency comes from good technique, good trim, good buoyancy and streamlining.

Purely personally, I’m far happier underwater slowly mooching around a dive site enjoying the wonders of nature, even a small section of a reef/wreck, watching the world go by. It’s so divinely relaxing.

We enjoy our differences. Makes the world a more interesting place.
Actually I am the slow poke, nudi's are my favourites and I have been known to spend over an hour hovering over a single spot, my quest is not freediving fins as such it's much more bizzare, I want to switch to full foot fins that weigh under 2.5lbs for a pair, small enough to pack in check in luggage and are still decent in current.

I still miss my Apollo Biofins they were awsome but they weighed an absolute ton and were great when I went on a there and back five trip, however now that we are doing a 2-3 month trip that might include 20 flights with a weght limit of 54kg in total for 2 I simply cant' take them with me, so searching for ultralight (everything)

So I think my search is over, they are light, short and pack easily 29/71 Mini-X Travel Carbon Fins, anyone have any experaince with them?
These look super interesting. I would love to hear other's experiences as well.

Jackie

Actually I am the slow poke, nudi's are my favourites and I have been known to spend over an hour hovering over a single spot, my quest is not freediving fins as such it's much more bizzare, I want to switch to full foot fins that weigh under 2.5lbs for a pair, small enough to pack in check in luggage and are still decent in current.

I still miss my Apollo Biofins they were awsome but they weighed an absolute ton and were great when I went on a there and back five trip, however now that we are doing a 2-3 month trip that might include 20 flights with a weght limit of 54kg in total for 2 I simply cant' take them with me, so searching for ultralight (everything)

You can't beat the Scubapro Go Sport fins, I have tried them in warmer waters traveling and in local temperate water in heavy gear, they are great.

I apologize up front, why do you think you need a freedive fin while you are diving scuba? I've been diving Dive Rite XTs for many years, they have all the power I can use, and are good with frog and alternative kicks. What am I missing? I see a fair number or divers using freedive fins in SE Florida

I apologize up front, why do you think you need a freedive fin while you are diving scuba? I've been diving Dive Rite XTs for many years, they have all the power I can use, and are good with frog and alternative kicks. What am I missing? I see a fair number or divers using freedive fins in SE Florida
I used the DiveRite XT's as well, loved them when I did not care about size and weight alas, now I think weight and space have become the number one constraints and carbon fiber freedive fins are simply lighter, and I can disassemble them for packing them into my suitcase.

Well, it all depends… When I know I am going to be in current and can‘t be smart and go with the flow (say Princess Alice/Azores or Big Blue in RA) or need to cover distance under water, I am very happy to don freediving fins. I used to wear my SPierres Carbon, but they are a pain to travel with, and the (real!) difference in efficiency isn‘t all that noticeable when bulked up with Scuba gear compared to nice shorter composites (fancy plastic) like the Cressi Gara Modular Sprints I have been using a lot recently. You can actually frog-kick, reverse or helicopter with them, it‘s not much harder. They won‘t break. In warm water diving from a boat, I love not having to pack boots. And longer surface swims cease to be a chore.
Dry, stages, no-current reef, confined spaces etc. I am happier in my trusty Avanti Quattros.
My cut-back Alemannis are strictly for freediving.
I love them all, they are just different. All gear is a tool, not a matter of principle, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom