Freediving fins might help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not your only option, Imersion E:Black and E:Green comes in an open heel design. Another alternative could be the Cressi Master Frog. I quick search on the Spearo sites say the Imersions are OK fins. They also say that going from a closed heal to open heal design you loose a lot of efficiency. At least that is what some of the users claim.

Thanks ams511 for the links.

So I currently have 2 sets of fins: Mares Avanti Super channel (about 24" long, not including where the heel would be) and Apollo bion fin pro (split fin about 21" long, not including where the heel would be). The Mares/regular fins I bought new, and the Apollo split fins I bought off Craigslist. I dive mostly in the Puget Sound, and sometimes have some long surface swims (like Edmonds). I use the regular fins when crabbing as I need a bit more speed, as the split fins are used, and I suspect are a bit softer than when they were when they were new.

I selected my fins from this review that compared different fins: Gear / Accessories | Scuba Diving, that had 3 aspects for comparison: speed given in mph, thrust given in pounds, and a slalom course given in seconds. I do see how the full foot fins have typically better performance, and it makes sense from having greater support. There is a huge variety in the split fins, so I can understand why they can have a bad reputation. However, I really like comparisons that have some objective data, as I put more weight in that over opinions, though I do value informed opinions and experience.

The Mares were rated at 2.1/36/71 while the Apollos were rated at 2.2/40/64, outperforming the Mares (though again, mine are used). Now I don't have the pro version of the Apollos, but my guess is that the lesser ones that I have are not far off (if I am wrong, someone please correct me).

I am getting into wreck dives, and I am planning to use the Mares for that for the reasons of backing up (so those would be the ones I travel with, though in my most recent trip, I took my split fins as I was not in peak shape). In one of the recent Dive Training magazines, there is a discussion on the differeng finning techniques, and that is something I'd like to try (I've said it before, but will repeat here: I'm inexperienced: rescue diver at 46 dives - half fun dives and half training dives). I would like to experiment with some open heel free diving fins at some point though. I'll talk to my LDS (Underwater Sports) to see if there is a try before you buy opportunity ever. There is an event coming in April (Welcome to the Scuba and H2O Adventure Show!). Not sure if I'll have an opportunity to try something overnight. We'll see.

We own a selection of fins from the old Plantar paddles through Avanti Quatro paddles, V16's stiffer plastic splits and V12's softer rubber splits. Virtually all of our local diving involves walking over barnacle and oyster encrusted rocks. Hard soled boots are the best protection for this. I also find the hard soled boots are necessary for my foot/ankle support. We use soft soled boots when we are doing boat dives. Whatever fins I use have to be open heel.

I started using splits because of cramping and arthritis. Unfortunately it has got to the point that the V16's resistance in the water causes problems with my ankle/foot. I tried them again a couple weeks ago thinking the lighter weight would be better but :idk: I wouldn't mind trying the freediving fin on my "good leg" to see if I would dare it on my bad one. Seems like they would have some value in some situations. I am always interested in trying out new gear options:). I'm just not convinced that I should put out the money to try something out of curiosity when I have something that is working for me.

lol I can attest to the fact that you can swim backwards against current wearing V12 splits. I was doing a drift dive on the GBR. I was filming some large sharks off to the side checking around me regularly to make sure I didn't drift into coral or damage anything. The current drew me around a coral bommie and just about on top of a huge bull ray in a cleaning station! The camera picked up my exclamation and you can clearly tell that I quickly swam backwards!

Given the descriptions I've read about their sunburns, I had the impression they were either in shorties or just bathing suits.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

​It was facial sunburn Bob.

​It was facial sunburn Bob.

Thanks ... that wasn't clear from the articles I had been reading. Then again, news reports often get the facts wrong or convey a different picture than what really happened.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This discussion has been split from another thread because it was off topic. The original thread can be found here. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...-off-indonesian-island-9.html#post7039816Marg, SB Senior Moderator

And I will take this opportunity to say once again, use of Freedive fins could have prevented this mishap!!!!
I am wondering how many of these divers were using Split fins!!!!!

OK, I know I'm late to the party, but it took me a while to read through all of this thread. I can pretty well answer the question above (from the beginning of this thread).

Please note, I'm only making an observation about Japanese divers I have frequent contact with, and this is not meant as an editorial on the worth of any particular type of fin! I won't even mention my own fin preferences here.

I've lived in Okinawa for 7 years, I'm in the water regularly with lots of Japanese divers, and have several Japanese dive buddies. Here on Okinawa, they use pretty simple full foot paddle fins, sometimes open heel paddle fins. I only see foreigners (mostly Americans) wearing split fins. I'm sure there must be exceptions, but I've never seen them. In fact, I went through a bunch of my old photos I've taken of Japanese divers, and not one had split fins. None of the Japanese dive shops I know of rent anything other than paddle fins (although they offer some split fins for sale).

I was on a dive trip to Kumejima (an island in Okinawa Prefecture) last week, and all the Japanese tourists (most from the Japanese mainland) and staff had paddle fins there as well, and the head dive guide used freediving fins.

It is unlikely any of the Japanese divers in Indonesia had split fins if they brought their own gear.

Last edited:
OK, I know I'm late to the party, but it took me a while to read through all of this thread. I can pretty well answer the question above (from the beginning of this thread).

Please note, I'm only making an observation about Japanese divers I have frequent contact with, and this is not meant as an editorial on the worth of any particular type of fin! I won't even mention my own fin preferences here.

I've lived in Okinawa for 7 years, I'm in the water regularly with lots of Japanese divers, and have several Japanese dive buddies. Here on Okinawa, they use pretty simple full foot paddle fins, sometimes open heel paddle fins. I only see foreigners (mostly Americans) wearing split fins. I'm sure there must be exceptions, but I've never seen them. In fact, I went through a bunch of my old photos I've taken of Japanese divers, and not one had split fins. None of the Japanese dive shops I know of rent anything other than paddle fins (although they offer some for sale).

I was on a dive trip to Kumejima (an island in Okinawa Prefecture) last week, and all the Japanese tourists (most from the Japanese mainland) and staff had paddle fins there as well, and the head dive guide used freediving fins.

It is unlikely any of the Japanese divers in Indonesia had split fins if they brought their own gear.

I concur, I too live in Japan and very rarely see split fins, in fact I'm having a hard time remembering the last time I saw a pair. In my neck of the woods Jets are popular with the boys and Gull or SAS with the girls as they come in pretty colors.

Someday Sandra and I will dive BALI....when we do, I will have the Liferafts and radar flags with us--we won't TRUST these operators....but we will also have freedive fins, which will mean that the chances of normal currents being problematic are almost zero.

Please, do the world a favour. Don't come out to asia and dive here. Please.

We really don't need you coming here to tell the world how perfect you are and how in perfect everyone else is.

Has anyone bothered to tell you that you have a serious 'god' complex.

I like to use the firearms analogy when talking about fins. Would you carry a SAW into the tight confines of a house to clear it of bad guys or would you rather carry a M4 or a submachinegun? Freediving fins are the SAW machinegun of the fin world. It's an expensive brute force fin used for speed and optimal air consumption but in a wreck, cave, or even in areas where graceful tight maneuverability is required (like amongst delicate corals and reefs) it's completely pointless. Anyone that wears free dive fins into a wreck is probably endangering themselves and others and most definitely has a screw loose. If I was going into a cave and some joker had free dive fins on I would outright refuse to go in with them. Guides use freedive fins in open areas because they usually need to stay ahead or scout out an area of interest for others quickly and efficiently.

Freedivers are all about getting from point A to point B fast and with the most efficient air consumption then comparing e-penis lengths on the surface about their physical "achievements."

For scuba the purpose is much different, it's more about enjoying the dive and actually seeing stuff rather than darting around like a spooked fusilier being chased by a bull shark.

I like to use the firearms analogy when talking about fins. Would you carry a SAW into the tight confines of a house to clear it of bad guys or would you rather carry a M4 or a submachinegun? Freediving fins are the SAW machinegun of the fin world. It's an expensive brute force fin used for speed and optimal air consumption but in a wreck, cave, or even in areas where graceful tight maneuverability is required (like amongst delicate corals and reefs) it's completely pointless. Anyone that wears free dive fins into a wreck is probably endangering themselves and others and most definitely has a screw loose. If I was going into a cave and some joker had free dive fins on I would outright refuse to go in with them. Guides use freedive fins in open areas because they usually need to stay ahead or scout out an area of interest for others quickly and efficiently.

Freedivers are all about getting from point A to point B fast and with the most efficient air consumption then comparing e-penis lengths on the surface about their physical "achievements."

For scuba the purpose is much different, it's more about enjoying the dive and actually seeing stuff rather than darting around like a spooked fusilier being chased by a bull shark.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried them?

I have not read this entire thread, but from what I have read, there appears to be two topics in play here. One has to do with divers getting swept away in current, and the tragedy of the loss of life that resulted. The other has to do with the question of whether or not having the ability to swim efficiently at higher speeds could have averted the accident.

I cannot say if it would have helped in this particular case or not, but I have long been surprised with the scuba industry's attitude that it is not important to be able to swim in a navigable manner while diving in current. It's like a tortoise crossing the street. The slow-walker will make it across the street just fine unless it needs to get out of the way of an oncoming car. Then the ability to move quickly becomes a matter of life or death. It is the same with diving. You can do hundreds of fun successful dives and never need to swim over 1/2 knot. But if you dive long enough, you will eventually come across a situation where the ability to go 2 or 3 knots, even if it is only for a 100 meters or so, can save you a lot of trouble or even your life.

It is not just the fins. Granted, scuba fins suck. Freediving fins tend to be much better, and some are vastly better. But the entire gear arrangements promoted within the scuba industry are deficient. It is as if people have been taught to think it looks cool to see how much equipment they can have strapped to or hanging off of their bodies. People need to learn a different attitude about swimming speeds while scuba diving. In my view, the present situation of widespread and pervasive acceptance of scuba diving like a plankton or a jellyfish, is unacceptable. Divers should be nektons and able to swim in a navigable manner in the ocean, not drifting where the current takes them.

Back
Top Bottom