Freediving fins in the mid-1960's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, yes, how could I forget them? I've suddenly remembered Spanish-made Nemrod Competicion fins first introduced in 1970:
upload_2020-12-9_7-55-43.png

upload_2020-12-9_7-56-11.jpeg

upload_2020-12-9_7-56-58.png

upload_2020-12-9_7-57-52.png

Reactions: OTF
One more thing - this is starting to be reminiscent of Lt Columbo - I see that you set high store by comfort when it comes to long-bladed fins. The most comfortable long-bladed fin in my collection is the Mexican-made Escualo Clasica:
upload_2020-12-9_8-40-28.jpeg

upload_2020-12-9_8-40-55.jpeg

upload_2020-12-9_8-41-22.jpeg

upload_2020-12-9_8-42-11.jpeg

Mine are about as long as my Turnbull Giant Continentals, 58 cm from heel to tip. They are so comfortable to wear that I almost forget I am wearing them. The secret seems to lie in the significant depth of the heel pockets, making the height of these fins around the foot pocket greater than most and accommodating the insteps better by offering a snug rather than a tight fit. I have noticed the same high-heel feature on Tigullio Manta fins:
upload_2020-12-9_8-48-24.png

upload_2020-12-9_8-49-58.png

and they fit like a glove too for the same reason.

Getting back to the Escualo Clasicas, they were in production until a few years ago and they have been around for a few decades, I just don't know how many, though. The short-bladed Tigullio Mantas were certainly around in the 1960s with their heel and instep comfort feature, however, so I believe the design know-how was there in that decade to create a long-bladed fin such as the Escualo Clasica.

Reactions: OTF
All these elongated free-diving fins (Cressi Rondine L, Mares Concorde Scarpati, Nemrod, etc.) were designed in the seventies.
The OP was referring to 10 years earlier, at beginning of sixties.
In those years, the "top" freediving fin was... Jetfin!
The original closed-heel version by Beuchat, introduced in 1963:
Jetfin.png

They became famous after being exposed extensively in Cousteau's film World Without Sun, released in 1964, but showing action filmed in 1962-63.
I did own these Beuchat Jetfin fins in the seventies, and they were much more efficient that their later "licensed copy" made by Scubapro.
However, my ones were identical to the ones shown here above. These were the "short" version, for scuba diving. There was a longer version specifically designed for deep free diving. You can see them here, in a photo which provides a good guidance of the freediving typical equipment in use in the mid-sixties:
Jet-Fins001.jpg

Attachments

• Jetfin.png
    Jetfin.png
    623.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Jet-Fins001.jpg
    Jet-Fins001.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 87
All these elongated free-diving fins (Cressi Rondine L, Mares Concorde Scarpati, Nemrod, etc.) were designed in the seventies. The OP was referring to 10 years earlier, at beginning of sixties.
View attachment 629310

No, Angelo, not all of those were from the 1970s, the Mares Concorde was from 1968 and the ones I showcased from the 1970s were clearly labelled as such. Here again are the ones I listed that meet that mid-1960s specification:

1. The Bulgarian-made "Gigant" fins, originating in 1962 and a big hit in Soviet bloc countries where they were used to win finswimming competitions:
plavnici-gigant-jpg-437145-jpg.629248.jpg

2. The Australian Turnbull Giant Continental fins introduced in 1962, which were popular for freediving and spearfishing "Down-Under" and were exported to the UK during the early 1960s:
2011-09-204-png-490175-png.629270.png

And yes, the Beuchat Jetfin did make quite a splash when it was introduced in the early 1960s
jetfin_1_1-jpg-487420-jpg.515718.jpg

but when I posted my earlier messages, my mind was focused on the OP's specification of the "longest, sweetest fins he's ever seen." The selling point of the Beuchat Jetfin was its vents, while the selling point of the Bulgarian "Gigants" and the Australian "Giant Continentals" was their blade lengths, hence my focus on long-bladed fins. How long actually was the earliest version of the Beuchat Jetfin? I'm not talking about later versions with extended blades.:)

The 1968 Mares Concorde was not a standard long free diving fin, it was more a long version of the OK fin, with vanes moving so that water was flowing through, providing little thrust.
No free diver here ever used them. And when Mares sponsored mr. Scarpati, he asked to remove the moving vanes, creating the Concorde Scarpati, which was the first real free diving fin in use here. But this happened in the seventies.
The earliest version of the Beuchat Jetfins is the one shown in my first photo, and used in Cousteau film.
Those Giant Australian or Bulgarian fins never arrived here in Italy.
Jetfins were well known, but very expensive, so out of reach for most youngsters.
Instead we were getting some Russian fins, made of a very elastic light blue rubber. We used to modify them installing a fiberglass blade, after cutting away the rubber blade, which was too soft.

Wow, thanks David - what fascinating and amazing information! The photos are quite helpful, as well. Maybe my story isn't derailed after all. I'm intrigued by the Eastern European connection, as my story plot has Cold War elements in it, and the original buyer of the fins might have been able to procure them in Turkey (or Italy).

I've been scuba diving for over 40 years, but clearly have a lot to learn about freediving. I notice you used the term "finswimming" - how does that differ from freediving?

Cindy

No, Angelo, not all of those were from the 1970s, the Mares Concorde was from 1968 and the ones I showcased from the 1970s were clearly labelled as such. Here again are the ones I listed that meet that mid-1960s specification:

1. The Bulgarian-made "Gigant" fins, originating in 1962 and a big hit in Soviet bloc countries where they were used to win finswimming competitions:
View attachment 629319

2. The Australian Turnbull Giant Continental fins introduced in 1962, which were popular for freediving and spearfishing "Down-Under" and were exported to the UK during the early 1960s:
View attachment 629320

And yes, the Beuchat Jetfin did make quite a splash when it was introduced in the early 1960s
View attachment 629321
but when I posted my earlier messages, my mind was focused on the OP's specification of the "longest, sweetest fins he's ever seen." The selling point of the Beuchat Jetfin was its vents, while the selling point of the Bulgarian "Gigants" and the Australian "Giant Continentals" was their blade lengths, hence my focus on long-bladed fins. How long actually was the earliest version of the Beuchat Jetfin? I'm not talking about later versions with extended blades.:)

Yes, I saw (and appreciated) the dates on the images - and while I was focusing on early 60's, the fins of the 70's are nice to see as well. One of the things I'm considering is how maneuverable the long fins would be, in terms of exploring tight spaces. It looks like none of the 60's fins are really long enough to matter - but would vents come in handy here? Or are vents more for combating leg fatigue?

Awesome photos and info. I'd love to know how freediving jet fins feel in the water. Can't get enough of that old space-looking ad!

I've been scuba diving for over 40 years, but clearly have a lot to learn about freediving. I notice you used the term "finswimming" - how does that differ from freediving?

Cindy
Finswimming is competitive swimming with fins. I'd never heard of it either until I came across it on one of Mr. Wilson's posts. Apparently it's less obscure in Europe, although it can't be called popular anywhere.

Finswimming - Wikipedia

These lasted for years, made in Sydney.

Back
Top Bottom