Freediving and tent camping Neah Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wkyongae@aol.com

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Going camping at somewhere in the Neah Bay area would like more info as to where to go and what is the free diving like up there. Plan on going Aug 9th through the 12th. Checked the tides for the area and flood seems to be the best time to go as there is only a 2 ft exchange over a 4 hour period or so. Also, have no boat so from the beach we will go. Any ideas or help? :D

wkyongea - let me know how your trip went. I was up there in June. I would be curious about the same information, and by the time you return you may be an expert in the area.

best diving - CB

Just got back, great free diving bad vis maybe 10 ft sometimes less. Divers that went out to deeper water reported the same with water temp around 49 degrees. All and all still a great way to spend the weekend.

It is beautiful country on the Olympic Peninsula. I am sorry to hear your vis was not good. Conditions there probably have to do with location, because I found the reverse true in Puget Sound near Tacoma last week - vis was good, especially on deep dives.

I am trying to put something together with the a diver friend of mine, to travel up to N.B. and explore three underwater areas from a boat and several others from shore. I would be happy to share what I discover about them in terms of freediver access and spear fishing potential.

wkyongae@aol.com:
Just got back, great free diving bad vis maybe 10 ft sometimes less. Divers that went out to deeper water reported the same with water temp around 49 degrees. All and all still a great way to spend the weekend.

We were diving out of Neah Bay last weekend, and found the viz to be very good on a Flood tide, but would deteriorate on an Ebb (the water would warm up as well). We dove early in the mornings to catch the end of the Flood and had viz up to 60' in many places. One morning this meant the boat left the dock at 05:45!!! :wink:

Photos from last weekend at Neah Bay can be found here.

Right now all we are doing is shore freediving. Great photos. I think it is going to take a long time to explore the Neah Bay area. This is a very good thing.

update!

We were up at neah bay last weekend, around mushroom rock, diving was great, spearfishing was great, vis was 45'. There was a moment of concern, another group of divers were on tattosh Island, and two divers got blown off the reef and a distress call came over the radio, divers lost. After the divers got back on the boat we headed out to help, thankfully the divers were found there were fishermen everywhare. they were about a mile north of the island, next stop japan

Be safe

JUMBO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom