Freediver takes 12' Tiger Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I support spearfishing, BUT that was pure BS! Its the kind of thing that gives everyone else a black eye.

I don't go into the DIR and other tech forums other than solo because I am a solo dive and start ranting about what is or isn't true, right, fact, fiction or whatever.
If you don't spearfish, oppose spearfishing or whatever else either don't come here or else read only.
This subject was discussed at length in two other forums. Scuba Steve and others who share his views can open your own thread on this subject in Whine and Cheese forum and you all can pat yourselves on the back about what kind and caring divers you all are away from the knuckle dragging neanderthals.

Last edited:
You will notice Captain that I have not commented on anything specific to this incident in several days. I have said all I care to say on this topic for now. So, while I appreciate being at the front of your mind when you are posting, please refrain from referencing ME in any post that is not a direct reply to one of my own posts.

Thank you

Wine and cheese forum? BWAH HAH HAH HAH. Good one, Captain.

The thing is that these critics have no standing here, no credentials or credibility. I guess a comparable situation would be if I were to invade the photography room and start spouting off about Steve's crappy photography and allege that photographers are adding to the earth's toxic load of chemicals and wasting bandwidth with their stupid stuff. I give you the paparazzi as a prime example.

I can use a camera but it doesn't make me an photographer so I stay away, and it would not be fair as photogs contribute a lot. As far as DIR, I have never visited their turf, not ever. I've seen them pop up at various other places and I suspect that the whole thing is a cult. No point in creating an uproar over there.

I am here because as a spearfisherman and hunter who knows through experience about the sport and the circle of life, it is a right and duty. I have written numerous posts and technical articles for deeperblue and spearboard under the pseudonyms pescador775 and peskydor which can be easily googled. I give respect and the benefit of doubt where appropriate to other spearos of whom I know through one channel or another. I give short shrift to self appointed experts who come here to stink up the place.

Perhaps this is another tempest in a teapot. Some say "don't sweat the small stuff". However, others say "take care of the small stuff and the big stuff will take care of itself". Whether one or the other, just to be on the safe side I feel one must move quickly to plug a blowhole like Steve and company. I also know that the shrinking of the earth has caused some real divisions in thinking, mostly between generations and economic interests. Some changes and adjustments such as with fish and game laws and environmental laws are inevitable. However, inevitability should not provide moral cover for small gangs of fanatics running around throwing bombs.

Last edited:
Well Pascador, you can feel free to go into the photography section and call my photography crap. It you had half a brain, you would have looked at maybe one or two posts in there before you called on your "threat". I call my photography almost anything but crap so guess what? You would not be hurting anyone. But thanks for showing me. As I said politely to captain, I have long ago given up on this particular topic because it was obvious that the smart people got out of the fight a while ago. There is something you can actually pick on.....I did not have the foresight to get out when the rest did. I believe that captain has made his effort to add some value prior to his last post (irrespective of whether I agree or not). What have you done? Nothing that I have seen.

I will make sure that as long as I am not referenced in this thread, I will remain silent irrespective of what is expressed. I do expect that, blowhole or not, you can respect my request for you to utilize the Scubaboard ignore function and add me to your list. If this is the last post you have to read from me, you will be happy I am certain.

I've said it in other threads regarding this, but I call BS. It just doesn't add up to me. The guy felt the need to take 6 'self-defense' shots? In the 2 hours of 'fighting', neither could get to the boat? Or the boat couldn't get closer to lend a hand? Or there were no other able-bodied crew around to give a hand? Where is the blood? I've seen this article and a couple others, there's a ghost of blood in one pic, but that's all. He must have been one hell of a strong guy to take an animal four times his size out of his element, and turn the animal so it is up/down. If a shark were attacking, I don't think it would assume the pugilist's position. Sharks like to try to attack with what they have, ie teeth, not fins. The damn thing looks lifeless in all of the pics. Also, this happened in January, why did the story just come out? They had to pick out the photos that supported their BS story.

Are you a moron? :dork2::: The pics were taken after the shark was dead! OR at least, very near dead. Hence the head up position. The guy didnt take 6 defensive shots,.. he took 1. ONE! The rest were simply humane attempts at dispatching the shark as it was fatally hit the first time. Second, the camera man was only in the water after the danger was over... That is why there are no shots of the shark actually being shot. This guy could have easily cut his line and let the shark go after the first shot and let it suffer and die hours or even days later, but noooooo.... he spent the next two hours of his time in a dangerous situation to humanely put down the shark.....your right,... what a dick this guy is!:crash:
Some of you guys just kill me...... The guy probably saved his buddy from being attacked and all you damn treehuggers and fish kissers can say is .....poor shark....
its pathetic..

Not quite sure why you feel the need to personally attack me and call me names, samson. We're all adults here, we're not on the playground pulling pigtails here, there's no need to call people names, stinky head poopy pants(see how stupid it sounds). Perhaps I read all of the stories wrong, but when it first came out, those were being purported as shots 'in action'. The story that the divers were telling was that this all happened too fast for anyone to get out of the water......for two hours. Again, in two hours, noone on the boat, his buddy, nobody could give the guy a hand? He had to wrestle it by hand? There's nothing on the boat to help him? With a support boat and a buddy, he HAD to do it all by himself? You don't have to agree with me, but I call BS. My take on it is that they needed some time to rehash the story to make it look more heroic, that's why it took two months to come out. Please at least aknowledge that these shots were taken by the guy and his friends, not a news agency, scientific body, etc. How many 'big fish' stories have you heard in your life? This is just another, as far as I'm concerned. And, as far as being a tree-hugger, samson, didn't your mother ever tell you what happens when you make assuptions? :D Let's just say that at the very least, they make you look silly.

Assumptions about spearfishing and shark behavior in relation to spearfishing should be left to those who have any actual experience.Voicing opinions on topics you are ignorant of is considered :lotsalove::no::dork2: in most circles.

All the guys involved are very responsible stewards of the sea and even a cursory glance at trip reports they have done in years past will corroborate this.

FWIW,NMFS kills more sharks in the name of science every day then all the spearfishermen in the US do in a year.

Last edited:
hasn't this thread been closed in other sections before? I think I remember seeing it earlier and not being able to comment on how bada$$ it would be to take on a shark that big in the water, but I digress...

Back
Top Bottom