Free Underwater Photography Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4thephil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know a good free online course or online website that will go through the basic of taking photographs underwater? I just recently bought an Intova IC600 with accompanying Intova ISTR flash, and am going diving in the Florida Keys in March, but have never taken a picture underwater (even though REALLY excited to see them already, even before they have been taken! haha)

I'm by no means the authority but I've definitely found the one thing you must know well is the manual functions of your camera in general and specific. If you are versed in land photos some quick searches here and on wetpixel.com should yeild some good underwater photo taking tips given by some of the pros. If you don't understand the basics of photography, like composition, settings (ISO, f stops, shutter speed) and how they effect the picture, and basic camera operation, I would study that first. A good underwater photographer has to be good at general photography first and good at underwater specifics second. At least that's what I've found.

Your number one rule when using a strobe should be never to point your strobe directly at the subject....you will get backscatter and ruined shots....

Imagine a 110 degree cone of light coming from the strobe and try to just catch the subject at the edge.....

The rest is the generally same as topside. You will have to play with strobe settings to get exposure right and that will come with practice pal. I would advise trying things out in the pool to get a feel of how light travels underwater.

Someone sent me a link to this the other day

Photo Course

Very cool of Richard Bailey to allow his hard work to be used. If you are a member of the Scubaboard Family Richard, Thanks and identify yourself.

Back
Top Bottom