Free Suunto Dive Computer Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Suunto released a free dive computer training program that allow the user to become more familiar with the various Suunto models, how they work, deco algorithms and basic functions. The app is available for iPod/iPad/iPhone user on the AppStore.

@ajduplessis: Thanks for bringing this software to our attention.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that iPod/iPad/iPhone app simply directs the user to YouTube videos put together by DiveNav, Inc.

Is the Suunto user granted access to DiveNav training sessions that were previously pay-to-play services?
If so, then this is great.
If not, then the app is of very limited usefulness.

Can the Suunto user interact with the virtual Suunto dive computer to understand how the features impact everyday use?
If not, then once again the app would be of limited usefulness.

I can't download and test it out because my iPhone is using older system iOS software.

OK, I need to give you an update. Only a portion of the classes are free, at some point in time you will have to enter an activation key $$$$$$$$$. Some units are sold with activation keys

If I understand it correctly you will have access to previously paid for training. I am not sure about the interaction portion. I have no activation key (paid for training) thus can not comment.
@ajduplessis: Thanks for bringing this software to our attention.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that iPod/iPad/iPhone app simply directs the user to YouTube videos put together by DiveNav, Inc.

Is the Suunto user granted access to DiveNav training sessions that were previously pay-to-play services?
If so, then this is great.
If not, then the app is of very limited usefulness.

Can the Suunto user interact with the virtual Suunto dive computer to understand how the features impact everyday use?
If not, then once again the app would be of limited usefulness.

I can't download and test it out because my iPhone is using older system iOS software.

Haha. Sounds like it's advertising for DiveNav. ...
Why a big company like Suunto should advertise the tiny DiveNav?
Don't you think that they might actually have a plan?

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Haha. Sounds like it's advertising for DiveNav.
More like, DiveNav is advertising DiveNav with the help of the Suunto name.

I think it's pretty clear what happened here...

Alberto began developing an iApp to sell his DiveNav products. At some point, he pitched the idea to Suunto of a Dive Computer Training iApp. Suunto OK'ed the use of its name since it ostensibly provides another benefit to purchasers of Suunto dive computer. Suunto may or may not have paid Alberto for a certain percentage of the iApp development costs.

Alberto offers the iApp as a free application. Bear in mind that Apple only gets a cut of iApp proceeds if Alberto charges for the iApp.
Users can access paid-content with an "activation code" from Suunto (obtained when the product is registered) and/or purchasing "bubble credits" from DiveNav. The beauty of this set up is that Alberto doesn't have to revenue share with Apple so long as bubble credits are purchased through the DiveNav website.

If this Suunto Dive Computer Training iApp is well-received, then Alberto can make a strong case to "partner" with all of the other dive computer manufacturers for which DiveNav has developed training videos (Oceanic, Aeris, Mares, Sherwood, Liquivision, etc.).

DiveNav is providing a product. Alberto is simply trying to monetize it. That's business.

I can't assess the value of Alberto's products, having never tried them, but the downside to trying them is quite limited. I believe they cost somewhere between $5 and free. That said, I found navigating my Suunto to be pretty intuitive, so even the laziest manual reader should be up and running with a minimum of effort.

...... At some point, he pitched the idea to Suunto of a Dive Computer Training iApp. Suunto OK'ed the use of its name since it ostensibly provides another benefit to purchasers of Suunto dive computer. .....
We all agree on this point:D

.....Alberto offers the iApp as a free application. Bear in mind that Apple only gets a cut of iApp proceeds if Alberto charges for the iApp.
Users can access paid-content with an "activation code" from Suunto (obtained when the product is registered) and/or purchasing "bubble credits" from DiveNav. The beauty of this set up is that Alberto doesn't have to revenue share with Apple so long as bubble credits are purchased through the DiveNav website.....
We are actually coming out with a rev 1.1 that will include inApp purchase (and Apple will be happy to get their large cut :depressed:)

.....If this Suunto Dive Computer Training iApp is well-received, then Alberto can make a strong case to "partner" with all of the other dive computer manufacturers for which DiveNav has developed training videos (Oceanic, Aeris, Mares, Sherwood, Liquivision, etc.).....
Correction: we don't have - yet - online classes for Sherwood or Liquivision dive computers.

.....DiveNav is providing a product. Alberto is simply trying to monetize it. That's business.
I don't see anything wrong with this. The iPhone App is just another vehicle to market our content (online classes) while Suunto gets brand recognition (their logo is on all screens of the App)

I found navigating my Suunto to be pretty intuitive, so even the laziest manual reader should be up and running with a minimum of effort.

+1 to that.

You get in the water it starts.

You get out, can't figure something out, then you grab the laminated cheat sheet.. voila.

Do you really need the internet to figure out your dive computer? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom