Free-flowing Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dochueb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all.

I have a question for the masses. I recently finished my OW training (pool & classroom) & have a friend taking the classes at the same dive shop, but with a different instructor.

I was warning him in advance about the "breathing from a free-flowing regulator" exercise that I described as "drinking from a fire-hose". I was all excited to hear how he handled it, as it was one of the more interesting moments in my pool training.

His instructor chose to skip that skill because "today's regulators never free-flow -- so you'll never find yourself in that situation -- so we're not going to learn the skill..." Or something to that effect...:11:

I would admit that with a grand total of 1 resort dive and 4 pool dives "under my belt" that I've never had a free-flowing regulator that I didn't create with the purge button -- but does this seem like good advice?? :06:

DocHueb

No, it's not. it's not something that happens frequently nor is it a fun thing to do but it is a requirement of the PADI class. I'm not sure what agency your going through so I can't speak for certain. Skipping a skill in a PADI class is a violation of the standards and could get the instructor in big trouble should PADI ever find out. Plus it's a disservice to you the student and customer.

My $.02
Dave

Dochueb:
Hi all.

I have a question for the masses. I recently finished my OW training (pool & classroom) & have a friend taking the classes at the same dive shop, but with a different instructor.

I was warning him in advance about the "breathing from a free-flowing regulator" exercise that I described as "drinking from a fire-hose". I was all excited to hear how he handled it, as it was one of the more interesting moments in my pool training.

His instructor chose to skip that skill because "today's regulators never free-flow -- so you'll never find yourself in that situation -- so we're not going to learn the skill..." Or something to that effect...:11:

I would admit that with a grand total of 1 resort dive and 4 pool dives "under my belt" that I've never had a free-flowing regulator that I didn't create with the purge button -- but does this seem like good advice?? :06:

DocHueb
He'll probably be just fine as long as he never dives in cold air/water. That and he has his own regs that get well taken care of. Since you don't live anywhere near where it might be cold, you'll be just fine.:wink:
As to the merits of the advice: Flawed.

Never had my primary free flow. But the other day all of the sudden my safe second free flowed for no reason. With a little tapping, shaking, and twisting it stopped. Lost about 200 psi though.

This is simple.
Thats a plain violation of PADI training standards.
Regulators often freeflow. Especially the models that can be manually tweaked.

The advice your friend got from the instructor is just plain wrong. Sounds to me like the instructor didn't have the time, or just didn't like the skill, so therefore didn't teach it.

OE2X is right to an extent, regs do freeflow more regularly in cold water. But equipment that may not have been serviced regularly/properly, is at risk of free flowing, even in warm water.

Scubafreak

Free flows happen especially in cold and/or deep water.

Some regs are more prone to free flow that others but it could happen with any reg. We've had a few divers around here hurt due to rapid ascents when they weren't able to correctly deal with a free flow.

MikeFerrara:

Some regs are more prone to free flow that others but it could happen with any reg. We've had a few divers around here hurt due to rapid ascents when they weren't able to correctly deal with a free flow.

I agree 100% I've seen it happen way too many times at quarrys here in Ohio. A diver goes over the wall from the shallow end and has a free flow at 100 feet and bolts for the surface rather then handling the situation underwater. Hot only do you need to know how to handle a free-flow, you need to know how to handle it while maintaining trim, buoyancy control, and visual contact with your buddy. This way what could be a major problem is reduced to a minor inconvenience.

IMHO, I would tell your buddy to find another instructor if he/she isn't be taught how to properly handle a free flow.

MikeFerrara:

Someone called me just last night describing that situation. She was nearing the end of a deep dive in current and her regulator started free-flowing ... not her safe-second, the one in her mouth.

While she was deploying her octopus and fiddling around trying to get the reg to stop free-flowing, she suddenly found herself (inadvertantly) on the surface.

We're going to work on both issues next week ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had to abort a dive last weekend in Coz due to a free-flowing reg. I was 20 minutes into a dive at around 35 fsw. I took a breath and noticed that air was still flowing slightly when I stopped inhaling. After my next breath it started flowing. Fortunately, I'd been reviewing skills lately due to DM training, so it was not too big a deal (although I probably ascended a bit too fast -- my focus was on breathing from the fire hose rather than ascent rate).

So bottom line, it probably won't happen to you, but it's important to know how to respond if it does!

Dave

Hmm, funny this topic just came up for me for the first time last night. Breathing from a free flow reg was never mentioned let alone practiced in my OW (SSI)? I guess maybe I'll have to try one of these days at a safety stop.

On a side note, my step father was certified about 15-20 years ago, and he was mentioning some pool drill they did where one diver had to "catch" the bubbles from their buddy with a funnel and breath from that for a length of the pool?? While I'm sure it's an interesting party trick, I wonder where that would be usefull in the real world! Should I attach my funnel with a bungie, or a double ender? lol

Thanks,
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom