Free flow on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shortdivemedic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys and gals

I am just looking for ideas on how others deal with their DH regulators on the surface. I was waiting for a boat pickup and my regulator was free flowing I could hold it down or roll forward and it would shut off I am sure it was due to positioning .

I thought about shutting the tank off which is an option , but maybe not the best idea .

I look forward to your input and appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

You can just keep your mouthpiece lower than the can (if the can/ regulator is in the water) or (if you are using a curve mouthpiece) you can use mouthpiece plug as shown below.

You can also just keep the mouthpiece in your mouth, but that is not always convenient.

I always keep a mouthpiece plug attached to my right shoulder strap, but most of the times I just hold the mouthpiece down in front of me. I do a lot of drift diving in Cozumel and waiting for the boats is normally not that long.

You can get a mouthpiece plug here:
Shop Online

46616379.jpg

Your reg free flows like that because it is adjusted perfectly for a primary but this is not good for a secondary. Just turn it down when it is not in your mouth and you will be fine. I would not change or add anything.

Your reg free flows like that because it is adjusted perfectly for a primary but this is not good for a secondary. Just turn it down when it is not in your mouth and you will be fine. I would not change or add anything.

He is referring about a double hose "DH" regulator. Your comments are referring about a regulator with a "primary" and a "secondary" which would imply a single hose regulator. Your solution does not apply to a double hose regulator.

Turning the mouthpiece down when it is out of your mouth makes no difference if the mouthpiece is higher than the regulator diaphragm (the regulator can). You have to lower the mouthpiece so that the opening is lower (in the water) that the can. It makes no difference if the mouthpiece is facing up, down, or sideways (the only thing that matters is that it is lower than the diaphragm).

---------- Post added September 8th, 2013 at 09:16 AM ----------

BTW, even a poorly adjusted double hose regulator will free flow when the mouthpiece is raised above the diaphragm. The difference is that a "perfectly adjusted" double hose will free flow when the mouthpiece is only about 1/2 inch higher than the center of the diaphragm. But a poorly adjusted one, the mouthpiece may need to be 1.5 to 2 inches higher (or more) before it starts free flowing.

From the information provided by the OP, there is no way to determine if that double hose regulator is well adjusted or not. It probably is well adjusted, but he can easily have a condition on the surface were a poorly adjusted (or one of the lower performing designs) will still free flow on the surface.

Last edited:
Luis
Thanks and I am sure my regulator is adjusted correctly and thanks for your info I appreciate all you have done for us DH users. I will try the plug and I am sure it will work well

Cheers

I find putting an arm through the inside of the hose loop so the hose sits under my arm works well to hold the mouthpiece lower than the level of the 2nd stage when on the surface. (Id get one of those nice plugs but my mouthpiece is the wrong shape!) With practice I can stow it like this and re-deploy it in a second or so, though if you do this I would suggest practising it in a pool first so you don't get tangled!

CIMG3935.JPG

It is also best if you try not to lay on your back on the surface as this makes it more difficult or impossible to keep the mouthpiece below the can.

Cloudfint and captain thanks for the ideas

Actually, I have been diving double hose regulators since 1959, and have never felt the need for a plug. One of the best methods of controlling the free flow by keeping the mouthpiece below the regulator is to simply put your snorkel in your mouth and swim face-down in the water. As Luis stated, the regulator will free flow when the mouthpiece is above the center of the diaphragm + the inches of water pressure needed to activate the valve. This is where the "adjustment" comes in. But if you snorkel on the surface with the regulator on your back, face down, your mouthpiece will automatically stay in the position below the regulator's diaphragm. If you get vertical, or on your back, then the free flow will be dramatic.

Cloudflint's method of putting one arm through the hose will only work if you have super-flex hoses. If you have vintage hoses of standard lengeth, you will either decrease their life, or possibly even tear them by doing this maneuver.

Photo by Sid Macken

When using regulators with shorter hoses (here a DA Aqualung with original USD Overpressure Breathing hoses and a Hope-Page mouthpiece), the hoses can be damaged by trying to put them under an arm. When vertical, they will free flow a bit, but it can be controlled by simply stretching the hoses a little to pull the mouthpiece down, and leaning forward.

SeaRat

Last edited:
Actually, I have been diving double hose regulators since 1959, and have never felt the need for a plug. One of the best methods of controlling the free flow by keeping the mouthpiece below the regulator is to simply put your snorkel in your mouth and swim face-down in the water. As Luis stated, the regulator will free flow when the mouthpiece is above the center of the diaphragm + the inches of water pressure needed to activate the valve. This is where the "adjustment" comes in. But if you snorkel on the surface with the regulator on your back, face down, your mouthpiece will automatically stay in the position below the regulator's diaphragm. If you get vertical, or on your back, then the free flow will be dramatic.

SeaRat

I like to do a lot of ocean drift diving. We particularly like going to Cozumel where there is some great drift diving.

The boat drop us off, they follows our bubbles (the visibility is so good they can basically see us), and when we are done they pick us up.

Whenever you are on the surface, you never put on a snorkel and put your face in the water. You and your body keep your face up looking for your boat and other boats in the area. If needed you may deploy a “surface marker buoy” (SMB, or safety sausage), but I have never felt the need since the boats have always been close.

The boats are not stationary, they are live. You don’t swim to the boat; you let the boat move toward you. The only exception is if someone is on the ladder and you are only a few feet away. If you need to swim, you put the regulator back in your mouth.

Swimming is counterproductive since you are now a moving target for the boat and if there are several divers in the water, it is harder to keep the group together for pick-up.

This is one of those situations when a snorkel is basically useless. I never wear one, but sometime I may have one in a pocket.

I have seen the same drift diving procedure used in several places and it is very effective. In Cozumel it is particularly easy because the visibility is so good and normally the currents are fairly steady.

I don’t know the details of the situation the OP was referring about, but I assumed it may be similar (at least it sounds like it could be).

---------- Post added September 9th, 2013 at 08:02 PM ----------

There has been a lot of requests for a DSV (dive surface valve) mouthpiece, similar to the DSV on rebreathers.

I have designed and built a couple of different prototypes and they work well, but I have some improvements that I want to add for a production model. I have the design partially done in CAD, I just need to finish with some details.

More important, since I don’t actually have a business (designing is just a hobby for me), it will probably be up to VDH to have them made. It is in the list of things to do, but there is a limited number of new items that he can tackle at a time.

Back
Top Bottom