Free flow on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made a plug out of rubber and it works well.
012-2.jpg

Thanks Luis for that information about a snorkel and diving a resort boat. I have not been in warm water since about 1986, and that was shore snorkeling. In the 1960s and 1970s I was diving from a USAF pickup boat, and we had somewhat different procedures. In my early days of diving, diving from a boat was a luxury we could not afford, and there were basically no resorts to go to. Now, I still largely avoid dive resorts (or any kind of resort, for that matter) and dive locally. For my river diving, a snorkel comes in quite handy, to the point that I won't dive without one.

There was a discussion in the Accidents and Incidents board here about drowning on the surface. The person who drowned surfaced, spit out her regulator, and couldn't breath in the chop on the surface from what I'm able to tell. In that situation, a snorkel (good one which can handle some chop) would be invaluable, as would simply keeping the regulator mouthpiece in the diver's mouth, attaining positive buoyancy and using a BC that would support a diver on the surface. Just some food for thought...

SeaRat

Last edited:
Good information and discussion Thank you all

Back
Top Bottom