Free flow at 90 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wfmiller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was taking a deep dive class yesterday in local quarry and after some of the skills we took a tour of a boat that was at 90 ft. That was when my reg decided to go all out and free flow on me. My buddy came over to give me his alternate but I refused it as I was playing with my reg for a bit to see if I could get it working again. Then the instructor came over and I took his alternate. We then did a controlled ascent.

He had turned off the air earlier to the tank and we were hanging at 15 feet doing our safety stop when he turned it back on and my reg was fine again. Only problem was when I looked at my gauge it only had 188 PSI in it. Showed him the amount and received his alternate again.

When we got to the surface I told him how awesome an exerience that was. I remember thinking to just stay calm and assess the situation. This was the 2nd problem in a week with this reg which I just had serviced (Apeks TX200) so back it goes.

At no time did I feel worried as I knew I had backup close by. What it did do was make the decision to get a pony and reg that much easier...

If I understand you were breathing off this reg when suddenley it started to free flow? I have the TX 50's and if I have them turned to far open they will free flow if they are out of my mouth. I have never had an issue with them while breathing. I usually just had to squeeze the mouth piece to get it to stop then closed the knob a bit.
Sounds like you had a great learning experience and handled it well.

I hope you get your reg. straightened out.

If you have the ATX200, did you try turning the venturi lever to "-" or play with the resistance control???

pakman:
If you have the ATX200, did you try turning the venturi lever to "-" or play with the resistance control???
Yes I did try adjusting the controls but nothing helped. Instructor thinking it was a problem with the first stage.

ATX200 is environmentally sealed. First stage shouldn't freeze or get mucked up. Sounds to me like they may need to just tear it down and rebuild it again...

Was the reg recently serviced?

Roak

wfmiller:
Was taking a deep dive class yesterday in local quarry and after some of the skills we took a tour of a boat that was at 90 ft. That was when my reg decided to go all out and free flow on me. My buddy came over to give me his alternate but I refused it as I was playing with my reg for a bit to see if I could get it working again. Then the instructor came over and I took his alternate. We then did a controlled ascent.

He had turned off the air earlier to the tank and we were hanging at 15 feet doing our safety stop when he turned it back on and my reg was fine again. Only problem was when I looked at my gauge it only had 188 PSI in it. Showed him the amount and received his alternate again.

When we got to the surface I told him how awesome an exerience that was. I remember thinking to just stay calm and assess the situation. This was the 2nd problem in a week with this reg which I just had serviced (Apeks TX200) so back it goes.

At no time did I feel worried as I knew I had backup close by. What it did do was make the decision to get a pony and reg that much easier...

Good thing you stayed calm, nicely done.
How lond did you have the freeflow? Do you know what your pressure was at the time it started?
Do you think it would have been possible to turn off your own valve and feather it on and off as required to breath until it thawed out?

I should clarify, was it serviced just before this dive?

Or have you made only one or two dives on it since it was serviced before this problem occurred?

Roak

roakey:
I should clarify, was it serviced just before this dive?

Or have you made only one or two dives on it since it was serviced before this problem occurred?

Roak
I had 3 dives with it since it was serviced. On the 2nd dive my buddy pointed out that the 1st stage had a leak and said oh by the way it had a small leak on the previous dive also. This was my third dive with the reg since being serviced.

Back
Top Bottom