Free flow at 90 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wfmiller:
Took the reg back yesterday to the LDS (by the way they did not do the service on my reg but had sent it out to someone else). Let them know what happened and they tweaked the IP down a bit. Gave it back and said here, see if that works.

Gotta love it !!!

Don't dive it, it wasn't cold enough to freeze, in fact after the amount of gas it dumped during the problem it had if it was ice it would have been still frozen at the safety stop when you turned it back on.

Something else is going on and turning the IP down without doing additional testing is asking you to be a "test diver". This is the second problem since serviced and without further testing you are asking for a third.

Is the LDS you brought it to a Aqualung dealer? Why are they sending it out?

If I can help in any way PM me.

Best,

Chis

wfmiller:
Gave it back and said here, see if that works.
"see if that works."? Sounds like a quote I'd expect to read in a Darwin Award or famous last words. I'd be concerned, very concerned.

Anyone care to hypothesize on what is going on with this reg? The tech work is a little scary, but a small leak from the 1st is an indication of poor post service inspection but not a danger - just inconvience. But what could a tech do or not do that would result in the reported symptoms? Nothing I can think of that would be corrected by "tweeking" the IP a little. Even if icing did ultimately sustain the violent FF in a PA quarry in July (50 - 60 degrees maybe), what would initiate and sustain such a FF for long enouigh to bring icing into play?

My experience is little IP problems like a little over spec or slow creep result in a little gas loss, not a violent free flow. Even with the 2nd tuned pretty hot, violent FF while breathing it should not occur without a catestrophic seat failure. And they don't normally fix themselves.

I'm stumped.

awap:
Anyone care to hypothesize on what is going on with this reg? The tech work is a little scary, but a small leak from the 1st is an indication of poor post service inspection but not a danger - just inconvience. But what could a tech do or not do that would result in the reported symptoms? Nothing I can think of that would be corrected by "tweeking" the IP a little. Even if icing did ultimately sustain the violent FF in a PA quarry in July (50 - 60 degrees maybe), what would initiate and sustain such a FF for long enouigh to bring icing into play?

My experience is little IP problems like a little over spec or slow creep result in a little gas loss, not a violent free flow. Even with the 2nd tuned pretty hot, violent FF while breathing it should not occur without a catestrophic seat failure. And they don't normally fix themselves.

I'm stumped.

Bent pressure transfer pin from the diaphram to hp poppet, diaphram being not secured, #10 oring around the interior oriface being jammed or nicked, oring in balance chamber bad. That second stage is going to hold back an awfull lot of IP and there is no way to know what the Ip was at depth, being overbalnced, if one of these things is off it could be causing the reg to think it is MUCH deeper than it is, then goes away shallow at surface.

Alll conjecture but if I were the tech it wouldn't get back to the cust. until I was sure it was fixed, or if stumped it would go back to AL, they an fix it and or take the blame if it isn't fixed!

cerich:
if I were the tech it wouldn't get back to the cust. until I was sure it was fixed, or if stumped it would go back to AL, they an fix it and or take the blame if it isn't fixed!

That's the key.

awap:
That's the key.

by the way in this case it would be almost impossible to really know what happened without dynamic testing equipment!:D

cerich:
by the way in this case it would be almost impossible to really know what happened without dynamic testing equipment!:D

I guess if I found one that was not behaving right & I could not find the cause; I would have to open another equipment drawer of old regs for parts use only. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom