Free-diving student blacks out training - Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my closest friends died from shallow water blackout back in '95. If he had been freediving with a buddy that was capable of bringing him up, he may have been alive today.

When I was a teaching assistant for my university scuba course (late 1980's), another TA, an undergrad, was attempting to circumnavigate our swimming pool (25 yd pool, T-shaped for the diving well), crawling underwater, breath holding. The last part involved the diving well (~12' near the edges, IIRC).

He had almost completed his circumnavigation, I was told. He had crawled down into the diving well, made his way around the edge, and then, when he was crawling up to come out of the diving well, he blacked out.

So, I respectfullly disagree with you, @Vicko. This incident convinced me a long time ago how incredibly easy it is to pass out breath-holding. I strongly caution divers to be extremely careful doing this (breath-holding).

So, what happened? Another TA was in the water, swimming above him, his safety diver. He grabbed him, pulled him to the surface, yelled for help. Our scuba coach jumped into the pool and administered a rescue breath, which revived the swimmer. Meanwhile, another TA had called 911, who arrived very quickly. I arrived at the natatorium that morning shortly after all the "excitement" was over.

rx7diver
You win for using NATATORIUM. Thank you for teaching me a new word!

In my freediving class, we were encouraged (in the pool with a buddy in direct contact) to get as close as possible to blacking out. This was presented as a regular part of freediving. My buddy did pass out (samba) and was easily revived. In my class of 8, probably 5 of the students blacked out at some point. All recovered without any issues. The logic was that it was better to have this experience in a safe environment for both the freediver and the buddy. I discovered that my risk tolerance was not suited to freediving as a regular activity, but I did learn a lot in the class.

hmm, blackouts are part of free diving sport, requires training to avoid and training to deal with it when occurs. Here, a nice compilation:
We’ll that doesn’t look very safe even with support folks right in the water with them. No thanks!

Free diving has never attracted me. Seems too risky - that’s weird coming from a cave/baby CCR diver.

One of my closest friends died from shallow water blackout back in '95. If he had been freediving with a buddy that was capable of bringing him up, he may have been alive today.
“May have” is key as no guarantees you will be able to be revived if you lose consciousness underwater. Pushing yourself to the point of passing out underwater (or anywhere) is not healthy behavior (imho).

“May have” is key as no guarantees you will be able to be revived if you lose consciousness underwater. Pushing yourself to the point of passing out underwater (or anywhere) is not healthy behavior (imho).

I'm not sure if there is good evidence that it is unhealthy. Risky perhaps, but probably not unhealthy.

But that BO video shows how important active supervision and assistance is. Interesting also to see how many of the athletes make it to the top and then have a samba (loss of motor control) or full BO.

The athlete does not immediately inhale water - normally. It is different than someone drowning.

Free diving has never attracted me. Seems too risky - that’s weird coming from a cave/baby CCR diver.
Never say never. It could provide a unique challenge that is often very helpful for enhancing comfort when scuba diving. Absolutely should not be done without training.

I'm not sure if there is good evidence that it is unhealthy. Risky perhaps, but probably not unhealthy.
Perhaps, but I can’t imagine it’s good for you either? To each their own, but way too risky to push well beyond your body’s inbuilt safety/warning systems for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom