free diving on 100% o2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

question 1:
if i were to breath 100% o2 on the surface would i reduce my chances on a black out.
question 2:
if i dived down to 40 meters after having breathing 100% o2 on the surface could i suffer oxygen toxicity. as i swim down my body would use o2 and reduce the % in my lungs.

I would think breathing pure O2 would significantly increase the oxygen supply for free divers. There is something like 20 ml/dl of oxygen in arterial blood and about 5 liters of blood total so about a liter of oxygen total at a best case. Total lung volume is maybe 5 liters so without doing any detailed book keeping that seems like a lot more. Of course not all gas in the lungs is at interfaces where gas exchange can occur, and not all blood is arterial. Still it seems like a 2x increase in O2 is reasonable. This also ignores the role of carbon dioxide in black out.

Ox Tox risk seems low except possibly for many dives in a row. You wont get to 5 ATA for surface breathed gas unless your lungs compress to one fifth their initial volume which seems unlikely. That is a very different situation than breathing compressed gas at higher ambient pressure. Also recall that ox tox risk is a function of depth, and time, and the free dives are pretty short relative to the conventional limits

Isn't Shallow Water Blackout exacerbated by hyperventilating before a dive? The low level of CO2 fails to trigger breathing before the O2 is consumed causing the blackout. Wouldn't breathing 100% O2 be 'super' hyperventilation? Then again, maybe the CO2 would build up sufficiently because the available O2 level is well above normal.

Not intrigued enough to try it...

No nitrogen to offgas? The body will be SATURATED with nitrogen at the surface, at depth, the body and blood will still be carrying a lot of nitrogen and I see no reason why it would not diffuse into the lungs which would presumably be filled with oxygen (under this scenario). The nitrogen would diffuse from a high PP to a lower PP area, right?

Depends on how long O2 has been breathed doesn't it ?

Back
Top Bottom