free diving on 100% o2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read it as the OP was planning to start the dive with 100% O2 in his lungs???

---------- Post Merged at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Only one way to settle this. Maybe Andy will come up with a [-]victim[/-] er, "volunteer" if we all chip in for the gas. :D

I don't think that's correct. Diver would be saturated with 1ATM worth of N2 at the surface. Fill your lungs with O2 and that N2 has to start offgassing,no matter if you are at the surface or 500 feet.

I suppose that would depend on how long they were breathing 100% 02 on the surface, wouldn't it?

I don't think that's correct. Diver would be saturated with 1ATM worth of N2 at the surface. Fill your lungs with O2 and that N2 has to start offgassing,no matter if you are at the surface or 500 feet.

Had to think about that. Yes, I would have to agree. So if we count the diver's lungs as small with respect to the rest of his body, he would quite possibly end up with 1 atm off-gassed N2 in his lungs at depth. Interesting!

Edit: actually more like a bit less than 1atm x 0.78 for N2, but that refinement is totally lost when compared to how far the O2 MOD is violated.

Last edited:

at 1 atmos the diver would be saturated with n2 at the surface pressure.
this n2 is in solution and would remain so unless the pressure is reduced .

it would not matter how much or how long you breathed 02 the nitrogen will still be there.

That is incorrect. Osmotic drive will make the N2 migrate to the lower concentration, which would be the 100% O2 in the lungs.

While breathing 100% O2 on the surface, the exhaled gas will comprise of O2, N2, CO2 and water vapor.

All the best, James

That is incorrect. Osmotic drive will make the N2 migrate to the lower concentration, which would be the 100% O2 in the lungs.

While breathing 100% O2 on the surface, the exhaled gas will comprise of O2, N2, CO2 and water vapor.

All the best, James

i'm going to do more reading.

I think it would be incredibly stupid to try something like that based on advice from a recreational SCUBA board. Half the respondents are clueless and the other half are unsure.

BTW Osmosis is generally considered to pertain to water and sometimes to solvents, not dissolved gases.

I think it would be incredibly stupid to try something like that based on advice from a recreational SCUBA board. Half the respondents are clueless and the other half are unsure.

BTW Osmosis is generally considered to pertain to water and sometimes to solvents, not dissolved gases.

I agree completely, I think this thread is similar to the recent thread on the narcotic potential of oxygen. All a bunch of crazy theories and speculation. Although it is fun to talk about, it would be pretty dumb to go out and test it.

Back
Top Bottom