Free diving manuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you know of any free diving manuals about cave and wreck diving?

Yes, book and pay for a cave course and you will get the manual free!!!

Yes, book and pay for a cave course and you will get the manual free!!!

I'm curious. Are you against public libraries?

But don't worry, I'll find my manuals in one way or another and I'll continue paying for formation and not for knowledge.

Don't get p-o'd, Thanshin. More often than not, when we see this kind of question here on SB posed by young guys your age, they are really looking for shortcuts to avoid spending the money on training. We hate to see this because too often it results in tragedy.

If you're interested in learning the "ins and outs" of diving in overhead environments like wrecks and caves, find a good instructor and get guidance from him or her. It's likely that s/he will have some suggestions for reading materials, and possibly even materials to loan you. Since you are willing to spend your money on "formation" (which in English is "training"), the instructor you choose to pay for this training will be happy to guide you in terms of providing manuals and other learning materials.

Don't get p-o'd, Thanshin. More often than not, when we see this kind of question here on SB posed by young guys your age, they are really looking for shortcuts to avoid spending the money on training. We hate to see this because too often it results in tragedy.

I did imagine the reason for the reply had to be either "protecting people from making bad decisions" or "protecting the secrets of the business".

If you're interested in learning the "ins and outs" of diving in overhead environments like wrecks and caves, find a good instructor and get guidance from him or her. It's likely that s/he will have some suggestions for reading materials, and possibly even materials to loan you. Since you are willing to spend your money on "formation" (which in English is "training"), the instructor you choose to pay for this training will be happy to guide you in terms of providing manuals and other learning materials.

As you can imagine, I know that if I got into cave diving training I'd have the necessary materials to do the course. However, the reality is that I won't do it until I have many more dives behind me. On the other hand, I am interested in the theory of cave and wreck diving.

When I got interested in astrophysics I read about it without feeling the need to get a physics degree. When someone in another post mentioned a knot, I found it interesting, started reading about knots, found a "learn about knots" android app and planned a trip to a sports shop to buy climbing rope (ok, and double bolt snaps and a better diving spool).

I also read the NOAA manual just because I plan to learn to use nitrox in a month, but I didn't stop reading after the nitrox chapter, and I now know a little more about rebreathers, diving medicine, etc than I knew a month ago. And I like it.

Will I but a telescope, start climbing mountains, buy a rebreather and go into a cave? Not really, no. But I enjoy acquiring knowledge. And I like listening to and reading what people say and write about their passions.

I don't know of any free ones, but if you post some specifics maybe someone may have an extra one to loan you. I keep a pretty extensive library at my shop and will loan a book out from time to time, I even get them back occasionally:D

None of your other interests listed have the propensity to kill you.

As was said above, it's a common theme coming from new divers.

I did imagine the reason for the reply had to be either "protecting people from making bad decisions" or "protecting the secrets of the business".
People will make bad decisions, regardless, and there's little we can do to prevent a young buck from doing something stupid if he has his mind set on it. (SB has many threads in which members actively and vainly try to talk a young guy with insufficient training out of doing a particular sort of dive).

We are simply not obligated to facilitate the making of bad decisions by providing free access to training manuals without the actual training the manuals are designed to support.

None of your other interests listed have the propensity to kill you.

Astrophysics - Not deadly.
Climbing - Deadly. Especially if what you're studying is knot making.
Rebreathers - Deadly.
Diving medicine - Arguable.

In case you're interested, I also read about urban and wild survival, zeppelins in the early XX, 3D graphics programming in XNA, interrogation and torture, history of economics ("The worldly philosophers" is the most amazing book I've read in years), ways to break a medieval castle's walls, strategy in the game of go (I did advance some ranks), armorsmithing (I made my own chainmail from scratch), knife combat, ...

P.S.: Darwin awards don't die because they read too much.

We are simply not obligated to facilitate the making of bad decisions by providing free access to training manuals without the actual training the manuals are designed to support.

I do understand the point. I did not teach chokes to more than a friend asking about it when knowing about my martial arts background because they could harm someone while testing their new knowledge.

No bad feelings, asking in the forum was but one of the ways. I will get the manuals I want, in one way or another. I also won't use that knowledge to kill myself.

Out of respect for your opinions, even if I don't share them, neither will I post here how I got the manuals.

Back
Top Bottom