Free diving during the surface interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a good idea for the reasons hh sets out above.

If you want another, less accurate analogy; imagine a bottle of soda water which is saturated with dissolved CO2. The ascent from the second dive will be like opening that bottle in a slow, controlled manner. Freediving between dives is like giving that bottle a good shaking - no matter how careful you then are opening it it will probably foam and overflow.

Snorkelling without descents is fine but you won't catch me actually descending on breath hold between scuba dives. YMMV but it isn't for me.

I think it has been answered.

The issue it you are on the surface to de-gas. By putting your body under the pressure again soon you are affecting the bubbles in your system.

15ft does not sound bad - maybe an additional .5 Bar of pressure - but why do it? Not worth the risk.

It could haywire the computer - but there are computers out there where the mode could be changed to free diving.

But rule of thumb - don't free dive after scuba diving.

15ft does not sound bad - maybe an additional .5 Bar of pressure - but why do it? Not worth the risk.

A 25 lb black grouper is sitting under your boat and your spear gun is sitting there?

DAN has a study on their website you can read, its fairly long and detailed so I am not going to quote it here. Recently the recommendation has been going towards not free diving after scuba due to the nitrogen loading during scuba followed by multiple descents while free diving. THe DAN article explains better than I can.

during a free dive your going to ascend very fast.... Would you have done this 5 mins earlier from your safety stop?? nothing changes within the body just because you dont have your equipment on anymore!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom