Free Camera! What would you do???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read in one review that 2 GIG is the largest card that can be used?? I wasn't sure why you couldn't use a larger one. Does anyone that uses the G9 use a bigger SD card then a 2 GIG?

... and yes, I do use RAW some of the time. The down side is that a 2GB card does not go far if I use RAW... Need a bigger card!

I read in one review that 2 GIG is the largest card that can be used?? I wasn't sure why you couldn't use a larger one. Does anyone that uses the G9 use a bigger SD card then a 2 GIG?

I've used an 8gig card in my G9.

I also vote for the G9. My two cameras are a G9 and a Nikon D80 dSLR.

David.

I read in one review that 2 GIG is the largest card that can be used...
As others have stated, that is definitely incorrect, though there is a movie size limit of 4GB per movie (or one hour, whichever comes first). This fact (from the G9 manual) should show you that the 2GB limit you saw cannot be true!

Also from the manual:
Compatible cards are SD / SDHC / MMC / MMCplus / HC MMCplus

(I think the SDHC spec starts at 4GB!)

Based on that, I wouldn't trust anything else that review said.
I use an 8GB & 4GB SDHC cards with the G9 with no problems.
If you can wait a few weeks (or maybe days), you might see the G10 show itself. Not sure if that will automatically get on your 'free' list though.
The G9 is a great camera and as you can tell from this thread.. very popular.

I think the 2GB quote may be a mis-reading. The review from dpreview, which I linked on page 1 of this thread, says the following on page2 (my bolding):
The SD card slot is located in the same compartment. The G9 is compatible with standard SD cards up to 2GB, and SDHC cards for higher capacities. You can also, if you wish, use MMC / MMCPlus cards.

I've always been an Olympus guy, but with my tec deep course coming up, I'd opt for Canon G9.
Thats because the housings Patima produces for this camera has a max depth rating of 120m!
Whats the point of having a camera that can't go as deep as you can?

As for my beloved Olympus, they've decided sp570uz won't get a genuine Olympus housing. I bet they're thinking that someone willing to buy an sp570+housing will spend a little extra to get an SLR+housing, if Olympus doesn't make housings for the sp570.

Yup, I think you are right. I read that and was worried about storage capacity. Thanks for the clarification. I think I am going with the G9 for sure.

I think the 2GB quote may be a mis-reading. The review from dpreview, which I linked on page 1 of this thread, says the following on page2 (my bolding):

Back
Top Bottom