Frecking HP hose leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a .22 caliber wire cleaning brush on the hp hose fitting and the transmitter or gauge. Even a small amount o harden lubricant or salt corrosion can cause bubbles on freshly changed and lubed hp spools.

I have some normal length hp hoses that have quite a number of years behind them and they ate still going strong, but the short hoses are not giving me any luck. The one that is leaking today is only a year old (+/- a few months).

-Z
The solution is clear. Attach the transmitter to a 22" hose. Of course to keep it from flailing around you'll need to tie on a bolt snap and secure it to a hip d-ring. :D

Those fittings are a bit drek
Buy hoses crimped like this

full.jpg

OTG Scuba Diving 6 inch (L) High Pressure Hose for Gauge (Nitrox Ready) #OG-122 | eBay

and never ever buy these ones

full.jpg

I stopped by the shop closest to my house this evening. The owner said perhaps I have the wrong type of spool for the hose.

I explained that it is the spool that Suunto provided for their transmitters. I also explained that I installed an SPG on the hose that had the swivel with center divider (not sure how else to describe it), and it did the same.

Because I did not have either the transmitter or spg with me he could not really advise but said he would test the hose over the next couple of days and sent me home with a slightly different hose to try out to see if it works.

To top off the cup of frustration I am drinking from, the pony bottle I am using (on semi-permanent loan from a fellow dive partner/friend), has bubbles slowly percolating from between the valve and the tank neck....not enough to form a stream of bubbles, and I did not notice it during the dive on sunday but certainly did while testing the hose issue. The tank passed hydro last autumn/winter but because the shop was closed we reinstalled the valve with the old o-ring so the tank could be filled to prevent moisture entering the tank and forming rust....I picked up a new o-ring this evening and will empty/replace/refill/test to see if that stops that leak...

...more to follow on both issues, but in the interim, does anyone know if one can use a different spool on a suunto transmitter than the style provided by suunto? They call it a pressure reducer....is it just a spool or is there something otherwise special about it?

@happy-diver, what is the issue with the type of hose in the 2nd photo you posted?

This is the hose he sent me home with and told me if it works I can pay for it when I pick up the other one after he tests it:
20201005_201054.jpg

-Z

Maybe consider just attaching the TX directly onto the first stage without the hose? I've had mine directly attached for years with no problem.

The spools that i have seen are either with or without the central flange. My experience is that some spool, fitting, instrument combinations do not allow the instrument to rotate freely. So the only way you can tell for sure is by doing it.

That particular hose looks like the one we purchased from Aplus marine. It seemed to be slightly thinner and stiffer than most.

Again I ask:

Do I see an o-ring on the transmitter fitting? Should it be there when using a hose?

If replacing the seals don't work, try a different type of spool. There are a few different types of spools-you may just have to find the correct one.

Again I ask:

Do I see an o-ring on the transmitter fitting? Should it be there when using a hose?

If replacing the seals don't work, try a different type of spool. There are a few different types of spools-you may just have to find the correct one.

I must have missed your question the first time you asked it, sorry.

Yes, I have a size 012 o-ring on the threaded transmitter fitting....I am not sure if should be there when using a hose, the product literature does not indicate either:

https://ns.suunto.com/Manuals/Wirel...123.205411386.1601929001-682012681.1601929001

I can mount the transmitter on the hose the dive shop gave me this evening to test with and without the o-ring to see if the spool alone will create enough of a seal.

Edit: just looked at the pictures of SPGs on the DGX website and none of them seem to come with o-rings except the button type ones that are meant to install directly on the 1st stage.

-Z

Maybe consider just attaching the TX directly onto the first stage without the hose? I've had mine directly attached for years with no problem.

My concern with attaching it directly to my first stage is 2 fold:
1. I am concerned that someone might try lifting my tank by grabbing the transmitter as upon a quick glance by the uninformed it looks similar enough to a valve handle.
2. I am concerned that in transit and storage the rigid connection between the transmitter and 1st stage would make it more prone to possible damage....having a flexible connection makes this less likely in my mind to be a problem...I also realize that the transmitter can and probably should be removed in transit/storage but constant removal and installation cannot be good either, plus I am lazy and figured that having a flexible hose would be a good compromise.

-Z

My concern with attaching it directly to my first stage is 2 fold:
1. I am concerned that someone might try lifting my tank by grabbing the transmitter as upon a quick glance by the uninformed it looks similar enough to a valve handle.
2. I am concerned that in transit and storage the rigid connection between the transmitter and 1st stage would make it more prone to possible damage....having a flexible connection makes this less likely in my mind to be a problem...I also realize that the transmitter can and probably should be removed in transit/storage but constant removal and installation cannot be good either, plus I am lazy and figured that having a flexible hose would be a good compromise.

-Z
I use mine directly on the second stage, I used a hose only on a Kraken DH because lack of clearance. Generally no one but me handles my gear. Just my opinion and of course there are always exceptions, I think the fear of someone lifting by the transmitter is way over blown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom