Freaking Equalize!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jringold

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Once again, let me be the poster boy for ‘don’t let this happen to you…’. It seems like I post that a lot but if someone besides me can learn from my dumb a$$ mistakes then that is a positive.

So, two weeks ago we are on a dive – our first OW since certification about a year ago (I did perform a recert in a pool a month ago). I jump in the water and am all excited – I remember most things to do …. except …… equalize. So, I am happily descending, thinking I’m cool because my weight is dialed in decently, I remembered all the usual stuff like the OK signal when I hit the water, quick weight check, my buddy/spouse is close to me. I get maybe 10 ft or so and there is the pressure on the ears. CRAP! That is what I was forgetting. So, I do exactly what I should not have done – did a rather forceful equalization. It cleared, everything is cool, and I continue the dive, equalizing from that point on just like I am supposed to.

We do three days of diving. The only thing is that I seem to have ‘swimmers ear’ in my right ear and my equilibrium is totally shot. I mean, I am walking like I did years ago in college when I was leaving a frat party at 3AM… but I haven’t had a drop to drink this time! But it’s all ok – I’ve had swimmer’s ear before. And this is the first time I’ve used a Transderm Scop patch so that must be making me dizzy – Hey, being a little dizzy is much better than getting sea sick and ruining a perfectly good dive trip!

So we come back home to God’s Country (Atlanta) and I still have that swimmers ear and a high pitched tone. Oh well, it will go away in a few days – heck, I’ve had this last for 3 days before. Now, fast forward to a week later (yesterday). Still have the same symptoms. Maybe I should go see an ENT – so I managed to actually get an appt yesterday afternoon – I had to drive over hell’s acres to get there – but I was able to be seen the same day.

After a hearing test and exam, I learned that I have most likely done some major damage to my right ear and have almost no hearing at all in it! So today I am dosed up on 60mg of prednisone and on a declining dose. I go back to the ENT in two weeks. I am hopeful that I have not done permanent damage but it’s possible that I have indeed. I’ve read horror stories of divers that really messed themselves up this way.

So again, I tell this story so that we all can remember our training; equalize often. Don’t get carried away with ‘new diver, this is way cool’ syndrome. Take it very slow and think about what you are doing – the reef is not going anywhere, I promise. I know that this is advice that I will remember from this point forward.

Take care all!

Equalize early and often (and gently). Hopefully you just have a reverse squeeze. These can take upwards of two weeks to clear up.

This is one that I never forget, because I start feeling the pressure on my ears at about 3'. If I get to 10' without equalizing, it won't happen at all, and I have to come up shallower to equalize. I have a history of it taking more time than I would like to equalize (I'm usually the last one to get all the way down), but have so far always been able to eventually make it down without major trouble.

sorry to hear this unfortunate story! Hope you feel better!

My wife recently has discovered that she favors very slow descents, at least in cold water. We've done warm water diving where we would bullet to the bottom with no problems (equalizing all the way down, of course), but we've been doing some cold water diving this year, and we take it very nice and slow on the descent so she has time to equalize.

I've always been thankful that God used a large diameter drill bit on my Eustachian tubes.

This is one that I never forget, because I start feeling the pressure on my ears at about 3'. If I get to 10' without equalizing, it won't happen at all, and I have to come up shallower to equalize. I have a history of it taking more time than I would like to equalize (I'm usually the last one to get all the way down), but have so far always been able to eventually make it down without major trouble.

I'm the same way after a few months of not diving. I've had enough surgeries the last 10 years to have had about 18 non-diving months total so I'm quite familiar with starting over. After a few dives I'm back to swallowing or moving my jaw to equalize. I start equalizing just after I let go the inflation/deflation hose. By the time I roll to the horizontal position I've equalized at least once.

Years ago I had a bad ear infection that cause blockage that broke my right ear drum. I knew because my pillow had many spots of blood on it when I woke up and my ear was encrusted with blood. That was just before Christmas 1977, February 1978 the opportunity to go ice diving with the LDS came up. Having only done it once with a friend, I wanted to experience it run by "professionals". So off to the ENT for an exam. He told me I did indeed break the ear drum and he could see the scar so it was healed and I was good to go!

So OP don't get too discouraged I was a young man in my 30's then, healed quick and have been diving since. I don't know your age but I'm sure if you are a young man you'll heal and be diving again.

On the ear infection side of things: I use a mix of 50% vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol as ear drops to kill bacteria that might be taking up residence in my ears. I've had a couple very painful ear infections as a kid when I played in mud puddles and swam in under-chlorinated pools. I don't think I've ever had an infection from salt water, but fresh water for sure.

(I am not a medical professional, please consult a medical professional for appropriate preventative measures for ear infections)

On the ear infection side of things: I use a mix of 50% vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol as ear drops to kill bacteria that might be taking up residence in my ears. I've had a couple very painful ear infections as a kid when I played in mud puddles and swam in under-chlorinated pools. I don't think I've ever had an infection from salt water, but fresh water for sure.

(I am not a medical professional, please consult a medical professional for appropriate preventative measures for ear infections)

I agree with this. I've used it for years now. Usually it's pool work that causes the outer ear canal to get inflamed, but the vinegar/alcohol mixture fixes that quickly. It's also a good preventative for multi-day pool work I've found.

The day you are to dive, get up early and start chewing on a whole pack of Bubble Yum as soon as you get up.

Are you trying to put him in a sugar coma or have his breath all minty for a regulator share drills? Hope the people at DAN won't piss their undies after reading this.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2015 at 02:19 PM ----------

On the ear infection side of things: I use a mix of 50% vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol as ear drops to kill bacteria that might be taking up residence in my ears.

Tried that recipe and found if you already HAVE swimmers ear, don't do 50% of vinegar or it will eat the **** out of existing wounds, making an already painful situation 10 times worse. Try a MUCH lesser amount of vinegar or maybe not at all till the skin will have no breaks in it. Mine flared so much that I was barely able to bring jaw together on the side of the ear. Thus, don't be going around putting vinegar on raw wounds.

On the ear infection side of things: I use a mix of 50% vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol as ear drops to kill bacteria that might be taking up residence in my ears

This is exactly what my doctor told me to do the one time I got swimmers ear. Use distilled white vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom